"It's Our Money and We Want it Now!"

"It's Our Money and We Want it Now!"

End of the semester blues

3
"It's Our Money and We Want it Now!"

It's that time of the year once again. The college semester is coming to an end and most students, including myself, are experiencing a one two punch of final exams and tuition payments. The coming days are going to be filled with sadistic instructors handing out papers filled with grade lowering questions that will undoubtedly destroy the psyche's of countless students. Shortly following this savage torture, students will be pelted with the constant reminder that their education is neither free nor cheap and not paying the university will result in withheld grades, transcript's, and the fear of brutes in trench coats following them down a dark alley and breaking their legs while warning them that their arms are next if the payments are not made. Of course I'm exaggerating about the punishments, but not about how the last days of a college semester feel. Between tests and financial issues, most students just want to find a dark corner and rock back and forth in the fettle position begging for the pain to end.

The last week of a college semester feels like the final boss of a video game. You've spent countless hours progressing through the levels, defeating several small assignments and mid-term tests, and now you can finally see the end of the dungeon. But before you can reach the promised land of the summer vacation or the Christmas break, you have to get passed the final gate keeper. And despite all of the hard work and effort that you've put forth over the semester, you are some how unprepared and lack determination to finish strong. While you still escape the dungeon no matter if you pass or fail, your G.P.A will definitely feel the effects, as will your confidence the following semester when this vicious cycle begins anew. Ah, the joys of higher education.

If you do manage to get passed the finals and any deadlines you may have, there remains the issue of paying the university, which is always looming in the background like some mob boss with a cigarette in it's mouth, a lead pipe in it's hands, and evil intentions. Or maybe your university is passive aggressive like mine is. One day out of the blue, it'll send you email's asking why you haven't registered for the following semester, knowing good and hell well that you haven't payed the ransom yet. Oops, I mean tuition. What's even worse is the nonchalant attitude the university has when asking for it's money. As if I have $2,000 dollars readily available. Of course, if money is an issue, then these vultures have no problem suggesting that you take out a loan. Why not fix financial problem today with a bigger financial problem tomorrow? It makes perfect sense. Just ignore all the people who are in their forties and still paying off student loan debts. Who wants to live a debt free life anyway?

I would go on, but I'm in tears now as we speak, and further writing on this topic will only cause more headaches. So if you don't mind, I'm going to go rock myself to sleep.

Burn in hell last week of the semester. And thanks for reading.