It's Okay If You Don't End Up At Your First Choice School

You will be alright if things don't work out the way you originally planned.

12
VTEEN

Growing up I always had a plan of what I wanted my life to be like. Where I was going to school, where my first place would be, my major, my career and my whole future. I had everything so perfectly mapped out so that it would be almost impossible to get lost. I learned that things happen and sometimes no matter how hard we plan and how set we think we are, sometimes things just don't work out.

I had always planned to go to a big college somewhere in a big city. For some reason I had always convinced myself that I was meant to be somewhere bigger and do big things. I've always believed that if you pay close enough attention and listen to God you will know if something is meant to be or not. If somethings meant to be God will pave a clear path and if it isn't meant to be he will put obstacles in your way. When choosing a college I ran into a few obstacles. I've always been somewhat of a homebody and a person who surrounds themselves with family 24/7. Literally. I found that no matter what school I was choosing something just didn't feel right. One day I decided for the heck of it I would apply to a school in my hometown. When I started to think about going there I suddenly felt content with it. It was a feeling I had been wishing for, yet I wished that I felt it for another school. At first I was disappointed and felt like I let not only me down but everyone around me who had what felt like bigger hopes for me.

To put it simply, I struggled in the beginning. Honestly, college was a big culture shock. I felt like even out of all the people I couldn't find anyone like me. Traveling and music have always been what I loved most. So that's what I did in my spare time. I travelled and revolved my world around music. I chose my major based off what I thought I should do as opposed to what I actually wanted to do.

Recently I decided to change my major and pursue a career in a field that I love. Truthfully, while I'm writing this, not much has changed because none of this was too long ago. However, I know now to believe that God led me to this school. I met great people in my major, I've loved spending every second with my family, my career is on the right path and I've grown as a person. I realize now that college is important but it is just a stepping stone. I can move to that big city with the bigger possibilities one day but right now I am where I am supposed to be. So while I am here I need to enjoy it to the fullest.

If you feel like your life isn't where you want it to be right now don't stress too much. Just work towards your goal, always find ways to be happy and listen to God. Everything happens for a reason and you will be alright.