It's Okay To Be Nervous For Senior Year

It's Okay To Be Nervous For Senior Year

Change can be scary, but don't let that fear overwhelm you.

520
It's Okay To Be Nervous For Senior Year
Chapelwood Parents

It's one of those things that when we're in the thick of exams, of trying to get those papers completed, of drama or fights with friends we feel like we can't wait for it, but when it's suddenly staring you in the face, it definitely feels a whole lot scarier.

What's that thing I'm talking about? It's none other than the dreaded (or long awaited) senior year of college.

For me, it feels like I flip flop. There are some days where I just can't wait to get out of school. I want to go into the real world and start my work. Other days I feel panicked. I realize just how soon I will be done with school and moving on. I wonder if I'm ready.

When looking back at all of the years of college I have already finished I feel like I've truly learned so much, but at the same time I feel like I have so much more to learn. Can I learn it all in this next year and be ready for whatever the "real world" throws at me?

To all of the other seniors out there reading this, regardless of how you're feeling, I want to write this to let you know that it's okay.

It's okay to be nervous.

It's okay to be scared.

It's okay to be more than ready for school to end.

It's okay to want more time.

No matter how you're feeling, whether you're cool as a cucumber or totally petrified, know that it's okay.

Senior year, especially in college, is a time of great change. You're transitioning from your life as a college student to your life as an adult. You'll spend the year writing papers, completing internships and taking exams, but within the next year you will be going for professional job interviews, attending meetings and commuting to work.

I think that despite all of the uncertainty about what will happen after this next year, it is important to do what you can to truly enjoy your senior year and make it your own. Join a new club just for fun, make new friends, get out of your comfort zone and do something you wouldn't normally do. Obviously, take the time to study hard and prepare for work (or grad school), but truly take the time to enjoy your senior year.

Sometimes school seems to pass by so quickly, in a blur of tests and papers before we know it the semester is already over. Take some time to slow down this year, seniors, and enjoy every moment of your college experience. Realize that this is a unique and exciting experience with so much to offer you. Make sure your years of college are something that you can look back on fondly.

With the beginning of senior year right around the corner, I know I'm nervous. I'm nervous to finish school. I'm nervous to see what the next year holds.

However, despite my nerves, I know I'm ready to make this year my own, and I hope my fellow seniors reading this are, too.