It's Alright To Laugh

It's Alright To Laugh

United we stand, divided we fall.

12
It's Alright To Laugh
Practical Happiness

On September 11, 2001, our country was hit hard by the terrorist attacks at the World Trade Center. Our country was mourning and scared to death, and for a long time, we did not know what to do or who to go to. As people were wondering what was going to happen, the show "Saturday Night Live" kept pushing to keep the laughter going and trying to keep the unity going. Those attacks were intended to break us, but it united us like never before. Shows and hosts did not know what to do, and for months it looked as if the laughter died because shows seemed to have lost their edge and wanted to be careful. That is, until November 7, 2001.

The episode from the satirical show "South Park" entitled "Osama bin Laden Has Farty Pants" was the first episode of their new season; it was exactly the thing that the American people needed. IGN stated that it was, "an accurate and thoughtful appraisal of the national mood and the international realities, as well as a bit of patriotic chest thumping in the aftermath of a crisis." "South Park" managed to bring light during a dark time and showed that it was ok to laugh, even during the darkest of times. 15 years later, though, it seems like we need it more than ever.

Today, we are divided more than ever; the presidential debates, "Black Lives Matter" versus "Blue Lives Matter," and protesting the anthem. It is now to a point where "South Park" is still on the front lines on pushing boundaries, but it does not seem like it is enough. The show cannot do it alone. People are getting too easily offended now and honestly, it annoys me. There is still that line you should never cross, unless you are a professional insult comic like Daniel Tosh, Jim Jefferies, and Jeff Ross. That line, however, seems to get closer and closer to where anything you say or do will offend someone.

Would you like to know my response to someone who is offended? I look them straight in the eye, and simply say, "Knock it off!" Seriously. I tell people to knock it off because what exactly happens when you get offended? Nothing. That sounds kind of harsh I know, but the reason being is because during one of my theatre classes, I was taught to say "F$#% polite." If I hear or see something funny, I am going to laugh at it because it shows a human side. Instead of freaking out, give a little chuckle. It is ok to do so. Going back to what I said earlier, there is a line you should not cross because those jokes are not funny and they are just plain tasteless.

I do believe that laughter can be one of the greatest medicines ever. We need to step back and realize that we should not take things so seriously all of the time. Use your common sense to know when it is ok and when it is not. We are better than this. So once again, it is ok to laugh. Laughter can unite us all.