All the Reasons I Already Miss College Living

What else is there to do this summer than reminisce over my first year of college?

251

It's okay to miss your new home, better known as your college campus. After my first year in college, I couldn't wait to be home for the summer, see all my high school friends, and finally earn some money after a year-long drought. The second I got home, I missed my school. I missed every last quality East Lansing offered- from it's 3 mile walks to it's cringe-worthy dorm food. Just like that, I realized my school was my home away from home. In the blink of an eye my first year was over and I wanted it back.

Feeling nostalgic of the recent past is how I always feel. I see a moment slipping by, longing to continue it or somehow capture just how I was feeling. I did this a lot in college. I have major anxiety over not appreciating the great moments in life before they are over and all you have are the memories.

I feel off, unsteady- in a cycle that isn't mine. I yearn for late study nights, walks in desperate cold, and movie nights with my roommate. Who would think I would miss studying? Taking exams? Rushing to an 8 a.m? But in all honesty, you can't understand the feeling until you're in it. Being at school came with a schedule that made me feel motivated, productive, and always moving. I was constantly having assignment after assignment to do, and at the time I hated it. All I can think about is how these are the building blocks to furthering my education, taking classes I enjoy, and finding a career I can excel in. My school isn't only my home, but it's my future.

These may be unorganized thoughts, but college can become this messy. Procrastination is one of my specialties. I excel at finding more and more ways to postpone the only real important tasks I have to get done. But this year has taught me how to manage my time. I found ways to use my time efficiently, focusing on what mattered most (the night ALWAYS ended with 6 episodes of The Office).

There's no right way to do college, and I definitely could have made better decisions. But, I made it, didn't I? I may miss my school and everything that came with it, but soon I'll be back and complaining about all the things I claim to miss now.