It's Election Year, And I Feel Scammed.

It's Election Year, And I Feel Scammed.

This year is the first year that I am able to vote and I feel as if it is a joke.

5
It's Election Year, And I Feel Scammed.
Instagram: @women_today_

I remember the 2016 elections very vividly. I had not gotten into politics and didn't quite understand why everyone was so on edge and against each other. People would ask me who I was voting for and I would simply say,"I wouldn't vote for either of them. I'd either vote third party of just not vote at all." After four years of being under the Trump Administration I realized the error in what I said as an upcoming freshman in high school.

Now as an upcoming freshman in college, I am faced with the same dilemma only this time I get to be a part of the voting. I've been interested in politics and activism for about three years now and have been so excited to be able to be apart of the discussion and to better out country. This excitement lasted about two seconds after I found out who was the candidates. Donald Trump and Joe Biden. Practically the same man at heart but with different colors. I felt defeated. After Bernie Sanders halted his campaign to return to his former duties as a senator during the world wide pandemic, Trump and Biden were now to top two candidates running agains each other. With both these candidates having controversial pasts relating to minority groups, I though this election couldn't get any worse...That was until Kanye West reminded everyone that he would be running for the 2020 presidency.

I thought to myself, "God this has to be some kind of joke. He can't be serious, right?" But of course this is no wear near a joke. I thought more into this election and realized what was really at stake. Due to Trumps lack of leadership and compassion towards American citizens during the Covid-19 Pandemic and his use of chemical warfare against peaceful protestors, Joe Biden was starting to get higher in the ranks and had a good possibility of kicking Trump out of office. This was until Kanye West came into the picture. Kanye has no intention of actually winning the election nor is he taking this as a joke. Kanye west is trying to sway an already divided party and have the millennials of the Democratic Party vote for him. Many people like me feel stuck and dislike both the candidates. Kanye is using this as an opportunity to split the democratic vote so that Trump will stay in office for another four years. It is not a secret that Kanye West in a big Trump supporter and will do anything including using his fame to keep the man in office.

So what do we do now? How does one get out of this terrible situation? The answer is: We don't. It sucks but there is no good option to this election. We just have to pick the lesser of two evils.