It's A Southern Thing

It's A Southern Thing

Y'all Wouldn't Understand

26

There are a few standard criteria that any Southerner relies on when it comes to the age-old "where exactly does the South start." You know the Mason-Dixon line is to be ignored (sorry, Delaware and Maryland, but you can't sit with us). You know there's the South, and there's also the Deep South. You know that BBQ is not specific (Carolina or Texas?) and that a Southern accent is just the start because we can turn 17 words into 4 so it's like we have our own secret language.

Now, if you come from elsewhere (and bless your heart if you do), you won't get any of these, and that's just fine because it's a Southern thing.

How to say goodbye in the South

A quick exit? What is that, another way to say you ate Mexican last night?

Southern goodbyeInstagram

This ain't tea

If you don't boil your water and then add the sugar, Jesus can't even help you

This ain't teaKerri Caldwell

Potholes, trucks, and yard decorations are all acceptable forms of directions

"It's just over yonder" is equivalent to miles and "be on the lookout for" can be substituted for North, East, South, and West

Southern directions Instagram

Like I said, our own secret language

HoedownInstagram

Everything in the South is more interesting

Stories told in the SouthInstagram

If a child were to act like the weather, we'd take a switch to them

You are actin a fool, weatherInstagram

This will only make us keep our foot in the breaks longer

It ain't that serious Instagram

See? A true Southerner can reduce the amount of words, but not the quality

Don't underestimate us Instagram

Yes, "Y'all" is singular. As in, you see someone (one person) you haven't in awhile and you tell him/her, "Y'all should stop by soon!"

All the y'allsKerri Caldwell

This is how Southerners feel when someone tries to imitate a Southern accent

You need Jesus Instagram