Going Greek Was One Of My Greatest Decisions

Just do it!

2
Ashley McNulty

Imagine this. You have to leave your family, leave your friends, move into a new place, live with a new person and on top of all of that, figure out what you want to do for the rest of your life. Scary stuff, right? Sounds like a nightmare but it’s actually this strange reality called college. I'll be the first to admit that it’s difficult to adjust to such drastic changes in your life. You start to miss the comfort and support that you have at home. Naturally, you want that in college too.

Like most young girls who go to college, I turned, with skeptism, to greek life as my hopeful savior. Recruitment was unlike any experience I've been through; the only thing you can really compare it to is speed-dating. It's awkward yet strangely satisfying as long as you go in with an open mind. If you go through recruitment, you will hear at least a million times, "Trust the process." For me, that sounded terrifying and ultimately unbelievable. But, now on the other side of the recruitment process, I cannot stress the importance and truth of that statement. I have heard it too many times to count. As a trustee of the recruitment process, I can happily tell you that I am a proud, active member of Delta Zeta.

The most mind-blowing aspect of all of greek life is how one year ago I'd never heard of Delta Zeta, but now I can't imagine my college experience or life without those girls. All those Monday night meetings, late night study sessions, sisterhood events, philanthropy galas and everything in between adds more excitement, fun and depth to your college experience. I've found my best friends who I can adventure with, share with and laugh with. The best part of Delta Zeta is having your own comfortable and supportive environment to grow socially, mentally and emotionally.

My place is Delta Zeta. But, everyone's is different. There are a variety of houses with great girls, wonderful sisterhoods and outstanding philanthropies. The greek community is inaccurately portrayed by the media which has given it brutal stereotypes, but I can say firsthand that I have seen those stereotypes crushed just in the first year of me being in greek life. I beg you not to let other people's perceptions or opinions stop you from joining greek life. Take in the whole community with an open mind, you might just be surprised--I know I was when I came to the realization that joining greek life was one of the greatest decisions I’ve made in my life so far. And I’m sure I’ll make even more great (or not so great) decisions in the future, but thank goodness I'll have lifelong friends/sisters to support me.