It Is Okay To Miss Home

It Is Okay To Miss Home

I thought I would never miss home that much when I went to college but I was proven wrong.

17
It Is Okay To Miss Home
Google Images

"Home is a place where you grew up wanting to leave and grow old wanting to go back to." Unknown

Growing up I was always a homebody, and even though I enjoyed being out with people, I looked forward to coming home. It surprised people who knew me well and myself that I decided to go to college not only outside of Washington State but all the way across the United States. When I left my hometown of Poulsbo, I thought I would not miss it. I also believed that I would not miss everything that makes Washington state different than other states. This is because I took it all for granted. Now after being away at college, I realize that's what I did. I was ready to go college and experience new things, but I did not understand how much I loved being home. I miss more than just the house my family has been living in for the past year. I missed having home cooked meals made by one of my parents who made sure I had good food to eat. I missed not having the amount of responsibility that comes with being an adult. I learned how lucky I was to grow up in a small town where it was safe and that had a view of the water, trees, and Mount Rainer where ever I went.

"I never realize how much I like being home unless I've been somewhere really different for awhile." Unknown

This first semester, it seemed like everyone around me was feeling some sort of homesickness while I barely had any. While I missed my family and everything familiar, I did not miss Washington. Then after going home for the first time, I saw my state and hometown in a different light. I learned to appreciate everything that makes my town unique. I saw that even though my life and others has changed, I can always come home. The people who cared about me before I went to college are still there when I come home and want to spend time with me. I am looking forward to this summer where I will go home and almost go back in time to when my life was simpler. I hope you realize that it is okay to miss home and what feels familiar. Never forget where you came from because it has helped shape you into the person you are today. Cherish each time of your life, no matter what age you are, because it goes by way faster than it seems it is going to.