It Had To Happen To Me

It Had To Happen To Me

A young girl must learn to grow up the hard way. This is the first chapter of a story I started working on years ago.

16
It Had To Happen To Me
bhmpics.com

Ring, ring, ring went the dismissal bell. I ran down the hall and out the back door in a flash. I was instantly consumed by the hot summer air working against me as I ran towards the schoolyard fence. I jumped over the fence and went through a small patch of tall green trees. As I kept running, all I heard was the peaceful sound of birds singing. I felt as if I was in my own little world. I stopped to catch my breath and sat down on a tree trunk with a small red blanket lying on top of it. I pulled out my bejeweled touch screen Android cellphone and called my best friend Gracey.

“Hi Gracey are you there?" I said.

"Yah, I'm here," replied Gracey.

"Do you see any of them?" I said urgently.

"No, no one. I think they all went home. It's safe for you to come out now." replied Gracey.

"Okay, bye." I hung up my phone and put it back in my pocket, grabbed my bag and walked out of the small patch of woods and onto the sidewalk.

As I walked down the street, the wind kept blowing my long dark brown hair into my face.

“I’m glad my plan to escape the bullies at school worked. I didn't think running out the back door and into the woods would save me from another daily pounding," I said in relief.

I walked up to a small brick house with blooming flowers lined around it. I checked the mail and walked up to the chestnut door, with two small windows beside it with a beautiful white flower design made into it. I rang the doorbell four times then knocked four times. Suddenly the door swung open so fast the wind coming from it nearly knocked me over.

“What did I tell you about knocking so many times?!" My mom yelled sternly.

"Sorry, I forgot," I said as innocently as possible.

"Ugh, just get your butt inside the house," my mom said calmly.

My mom has short blond hair, and sharp blue eyes, unlike my shiny dark brown eyes. She is 36, but everyone that meets her always thinks she is younger. One time when my mom and I went out shopping, the cashier thought she was my sister. It gets annoying having a young mom. My mom's name is Cassandra Edwards. My mom's personality is pretty unique. One second she will be screaming at me for no reason and the next she will be as calm as the night sky. So my siblings and I work hard to stay on her good side.

"Hello Rosey," said my dad with a smile on his face.

My dad has short brown hair and light brown eyes. His real name is Bobby Edwards, but family calls him Bob. He is really nice and rarely ever gets mad. He is really lenient too. If I want permission to go to a party or something, I would ask my dad. I have long brown hair, dark brown eyes, tallish, and I am more like my dad.

“Hi, Dad. Can I go out and hang with my friends?" I asked nicely.

“Of course you can kiddo, after you do your homework and clean your room," my dad replied.

“Already did, bye," I replied cheerfully. "I just have to put my bag away first."

I ran upstairs to my room, the last door on the left at the end of the hallway. I opened the door and moved my red and black glitter beads hanging in the doorway out of my way so that I could get in. My room was pretty big — well at least compared to the apartment I used to live in. My room has gorgeous light ruby red walls with and cozy light blue carpet. I walked over to my bookshelf and unzipped my plaid blue and black colored handbag. I took out my cheetah design wallet and shoved it into my blue Hollister jacket pocket. I only had about 50 bucks in it, but I might need it just in case. I also grabbed my house key, so that when I come back home I won't have to hear my mother yelling at me for knocking too much.

I walked out of my room and closed the door shut. I ran down the steps and straight out the front door. I reached into my blue jeans pocket and took out my cell phone. I went to my contacts and chose GRACEY.

"Hello Rose," said Gracey. “What’s up"?

“I was wondering if you had time to come and hang out," I said.

“Sure thing girl. Let us meet in our secret spot in the woods, okay?" Gracey said.

“Sure thing, I will be waiting."

I hung up my phone and slid it back into my blue jeans back pocket. It was about 4 p.m., and it kept getting windier. I zipped up my baby blue Hollister jacket, put on the hood and shoved my hands into my jacket pockets. I slowly started walking down the sidewalk, taking my time. I couldn't help but to feel I was being watched for some strange reason. I heard the green bushes beside me rustling. I started walking faster when I thought I heard someone walking behind me. I turned around, but no one was there.

As I started walking faster the wind kept growing louder, and all I could think about was that I was being watched. The footsteps behind me started growing louder. I started walking even faster, but the faster I went the closer the footsteps sounded. Before I knew it I was practically running towards the woods. All I could hear was the roaring of the wind and the fear of those footsteps creeping up behind me. Right when I was about to cross the street, I felt someone grab the back of my jacket and roughly pull me back onto the sidewalk. And that's when I knew exactly who were following me.... the school bullies, MoMo, and JoJo. I couldn't help but to let out a small scream.

“Awww, is the poor baby scared?" said JoJo.

JoJo is a really tall and big guy, with the scruffiest dirty blond hair I have ever seen. He was always wearing ripped up jeans and dirty old Nike sneakers.

“I am...not afraid... of y-you," I said cowardly, even though I really was trying to be brave.

“Hey JoJo, this little chump says she's not afraid of us," said MoMo.

MoMo is a little shorter than JoJo and not as big either. He is basically JoJo's assistant. MoMo does whatever JoJo tells him to.

“Then I think we better give her a reason to be afraid, right MoMo?" said JoJo with a mean look on his face.

Before I knew it I found myself on the sidewalk with my back facing the sidewalk. JoJo kicked me in the side and then MoMo grabbed the collar of my nice jacket and dragged me up off the ground. He had me pinned against a tree. I watched him slowly move his right fist back, and then I felt the force of his sharp knuckles piercing into the side of my face.

"Aaaaaaaaaaah!"I screamed, which I tried not to do since I didn't want to look like it actually hurt. I tried to be brave.

“Step aside MoMo; I've got it from here," Said JoJo with an ugly grin on his face.

The only thing JoJo likes more than beating up innocent kids is making innocent kids cry. And right about now, I could tell I was one of those kids that he wanted to make cry.

The second MoMo let go of me so that JoJo could have his turn at hurting me, I sprinted across the street and started running towards the woods.

This was definitely not the last that they would see of me.

Disclaimer: This is a work of fiction. All resemblance to actual people, places, incidents, or things is completely coincidental.