Tigers Against Texting And Driving: It Can Wait

Why Delta Zeta at LSU Wants You to Take the Pledge

19

AT&T launched a campaign in 2010 with one goal in mind: Keeping drivers off their phones and focused on the road.

In 2013, the Sigma Chapter of the Delta Zeta Sorority at LSU wanted the Baton Rouge community to join the movement.

"I don't think people see how hazardous it is when they're texting while driving, it's basically driving blindly, and they tend to take it lightly," Katelyn Smith, It Can Wait at LSU chairman, said.

According to The Louisiana State Code of Civil Procedure, "No person shall operate any motor vehicle upon any public road or highway of this state while using a wireless telecommunications device to write ,send, or read a text –based communication," (LSA-R.S. RS 32:300.5).

The first violation is punishable by a $175 fine and each subsequent violation, by a $500 fine.

"Not only is texting and driving breaking the law...it's risking your own life, as well as the lives of others," Smith said.

When driving, five seconds is the average time that your eyes are off the road when texting. If you're traveling at 55mph, that's enough time to cover the length of a football field blindfolded, according to The U.S. Department of Transportation.

"I've been in law enforcement for 21 years and over those 21 years I've seen thousands of traffic crashes and in a majority of those traffic crashes it is a situation where they are distracted," LSUPD Capt. Cory Lalonde.

During the entire week of October 12, members of Delta Zeta are encouraging students, faculty and metro area residents to support the campaign.

"This is our third consecutive year partnering with AT&T," Kristi Condon, Delta Zeta at LSU's president said, "Delta Zeta really just wants to make an overall impact in the Baton Rouge community, but it starts with each of you...by simply taking the pledge."

Members are promoting the campaign by painting banners, wearing It Can Wait at LSU stickers and using the #ItCanWaitLSU hashtag on social media.

"A lot of the statistics that we hear are simply that... statistics, but the reality behind those statistics is impacting those personally involved, so don't be a statistic," Lalonde said.

"If you have to text... it can wait."

Find out more information about how you can get involved with the campaign and take the pledge to keep your eyes on the road,not on your phone by visiting ItCanWait.com

Share the It Can Wait at LSU video and use the hashtag #ItCanWaitLSU