"It Came Without Bonnets, It Came Without Bunnies... It Came Without Egg Hunts, Cantatas, or Money”

Easter's coming and as my neighbor and friend reminded me with the poem she shared (partly in title), it's not about spaces

124
"It Came Without Bonnets, It Came Without Bunnies...
It Came Without Egg Hunts, Cantatas, or Money”
Barb's favorite bunny from Artisans in Greenville, NC

The grass is green and puffy, just right to hide Easter eggs in. I have filled our weeping cherry tree with the plastic variety, all beautifully designed not to lose their pretty colors and artwork no matter how much April showers. I purchased a lovely dress via Talbots online for my daughter for Easter - even though she is grown, I still buy her a new Easter dress each year. Moms out there will understand. My husband and I sat this morning and discussed what I wanted to cook for Easter Sunday.

No, we won't be donning our Easter attire this Easter Sunday. Probably, he'll be wearing his Chaps shorts, and I'll be in my Adidas work-out pants. One thing will not change, however, and it is the most important part of Easter...Jesus still rose from the grave, and my family and I will still celebrate that this Easter. For, Easter is fun for all those symbolisms mentioned above, but what Easter IS is not all that - those things are just a way to keep the kids entertained, and grown kids reminded how much we love them. If you are a Christian, Easter is all about why you believe what you believe, and it requires no church walls, no Easter dress, no bunny or Easter basket, no hidden eggs. It just requires belief in a risen Savior, one who died for my sins and rose again, and I celebrate Him every Easter even if it is in front of my laptop in my Adidas workout pants. I also celebrate it throughout the year by the way I love others and strive that they know what Easter is all about too.

My friend and neighbor shared this poem with me this morning. I hope you like it - it's in the spirit of Dr. Seuss - I loved it! HAPPY EASTER!

A Grinchy Easter Poem

How the Virus Stole Easter by Kristi Bothur

(With a nod to Dr. Seuss) 😊

Twas late in '19 when the virus began

Bringing chaos and fear to all people, each land.

People were sick, hospitals full,

Doctors overwhelmed, no one in school.

As winter gave way to the promise of spring,

The virus raged on, touching peasant and king.

People hid in their homes from the enemy unseen.

They YouTubed and Zoomed, social-distanced, and cleaned.

April approached and churches were closed.

"There won't be an Easter," the world supposed.

"There won't be church services, and egg hunts are out.

No reason for new dresses when we can't go about."

Holy Week started, as bleak as the rest.

The world was focused on masks and on tests.

"Easter can't happen this year," it proclaimed.

"Online and at home, it just won't be the same."

Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, the days came and went.

The virus pressed on; it just would not relent.

The world woke Sunday and nothing had changed.

The virus still menaced, the people, estranged.

"Pooh pooh to the saints," the world was grumbling.

"They're finding out now that no Easter is coming.

"They're just waking up! We know just what they'll do!

Their mouths will hang open a minute or two,

And then all the saints will all cry boo-hoo.

"That noise," said the world, "will be something to hear."

So it paused and the world put a hand to its ear.

And it did hear a sound coming through all the skies.

It started down low, then it started to rise.

But the sound wasn't depressed.

Why, this sound was triumphant!

It couldn't be so!

But it grew with abundance!

The world stared around, popping its eyes.

Then it shook! What it saw was a shocking surprise!

Every saint in every nation, the tall and the small,

Was celebrating Jesus in spite of it all!

It hadn't stopped Easter from coming! It came!

Somehow or other, it came just the same!

And the world with its life quite stuck in quarantine

Stood puzzling and puzzling.

"Just how can it be?"

"It came without bonnets, it came without bunnies,

It came without egg hunts, cantatas, or money."

Then the world thought of something it hadn't before.

"Maybe Easter," it thought, "doesn't come from a store.

Maybe Easter, perhaps, means a little bit more."

And what happened then?

Well....the story's not done.

What will YOU do?

Will you share with that one

Or two or more people needing hope in this night?

Will you share the source of your life in this fight?

The churches are empty - but so is the tomb,

And Jesus is victor over death, doom, and gloom.

So this year at Easter, let this be our prayer,

As the virus still rages all around, everywhere.

May the world see hope when it looks at God's people.

May the world see the church is not a building or steeple.

May the world find Faith in Jesus' death and resurrection,

May the world find Joy in a time of dejection.

May 2020 be known as the year of survival,

But not only that -

Let it start a revival.