Is Scope 4 Knocking at the Door?

Is Scope 4 Knocking at the Door?

Scope 4 refers to the reporting of greenhouse gas emissions from the use of purchased goods and services, which is not included in the standard scope of most corporate greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions inventories.

10
Is Scope 4 Knocking at the Door?

.

Scope 4 refers to the reporting of greenhouse gas emissions from the use of purchased goods and services, which is not included in the standard scope of most corporate greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions inventories. It is considered as an additional scope to the commonly used Scopes 1, 2, and 3.

Scope 4 emissions are considered to be an important area to focus on in order to reduce the overall emissions of companies and organizations. Companies can reduce their scope 4 emissions by purchasing goods and services that have lower emissions, setting targets for emissions reductions in their supply chains, and engaging with suppliers to improve their environmental performance.

In terms of if scope 4 is knocking at the door, it is not a commonly used scope yet, it is being considered by some organizations and governments as a way to measure and reduce emissions from their activities and those of their suppliers, and it is increasingly being used in the private sector. Some companies are already reporting on scope 4 emissions and many more are expected to follow.

However, as an additional scope, it is not yet widely used, and the methodologies and guidelines for measuring and reporting scope 4 emissions are still being developed. But with increasing focus on reducing emissions, it is likely that the use of scope 4 will become more prevalent in the future.

What are Scope 4 emissions?

Scope 4 emissions refer to the emissions resulting from the consumption of purchased goods and services, it is an additional category to the commonly used Scopes 1, 2, and 3. It is considered as an indirect emissions and is not included in the standard scope of most corporate greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions inventories.

Scope 4 emissions can come from a wide range of sources such as the energy used to produce the goods and services that a company purchases, as well as emissions from transportation and waste disposal related to those goods and services.

For example, if a company purchases electricity from a utility, the emissions from the power generation would be considered scope 2 emissions, and the emissions from the production of the goods and services that the company uses, such as the emissions from the factory that produces the goods, would be considered scope 4 emissions.

Scope 4 emissions are considered to be an important area to focus on in order to reduce the overall emissions of companies and organizations, as it can account for a significant percentage of a company's total emissions.

Changes in consumer and user behaviour

Changes in consumer and user behavior can have a significant impact on the emissions associated with the consumption of goods and services, which are included in Scope 4 emissions. For example, if consumers shift to using more energy-efficient products or services, the emissions associated with the production and use of those products and services will be lower.

Similarly, if consumers choose to purchase products and services from suppliers that have lower emissions, the emissions associated with the production and delivery of those products and services will also be lower.

Eight Versa is a company that offers carbon consulting services. Their team of in-house carbon specialists can help assess a company's Scope 1, 2, and 3 carbon emissions, which are the three main categories of greenhouse gas emissions. Scope 1 emissions are direct emissions from sources that are owned or controlled by a company, such as emissions from boilers or vehicles. Scope 2 emissions are indirect emissions from the generation of purchased electricity, heat, or steam. Scope 3 emissions are all other indirect emissions that occur in a company's value chain, such as emissions from the production of purchased goods and services. The company's carbon specialists can then provide recommendations on how to decarbonize the company's operations.

Natural Carbon Solutions (NCS) certification scheme is a program that allows companies to verify and certify their efforts to achieve carbon neutrality or even "carbon negativity" (removing more carbon from the atmosphere than it emits). By participating in the NCS certification scheme, a company can demonstrate its commitment to reducing its carbon footprint and mitigating the impacts of climate change through measurable and verifiable actions. The certification provides greater accountability for the company's carbon reduction efforts, as it is independently verified by a third-party organization.

Additionally, changes in consumer and user behavior can also affect the emissions associated with transportation and waste disposal. For example, if consumers choose to purchase products online instead of in a physical store, the emissions associated with transportation may be reduced. Similarly, if consumers choose to recycle or compost more of their waste, the emissions associated with waste disposal may be reduced.

It's important to note that companies can also influence the behavior of their customers by providing information on the environmental impact of their products, promoting more sustainable products and services, and encouraging more sustainable consumption habits.