Is EOS Lip Balm Safe to Use?

Is EOS Lip Balm Safe to Use?

The adorable, egg-shaped, bright colored lip product may be captivating to the eye, but is it safe for your skin?

104
Is EOS Lip Balm
 Safe to Use?

EOS, short for "evolution of smooth," is a privately-owned lip and body care brand based in New York City. In 2006, the brand started its run by releasing its lip balm. What stands out in their lip balm products was their egg-shaped containers in a variety of different colors and flavors. I remember during middle school, almost every one of my friends owned an EOS lip balm. It was a huge trend to have and use the spherical lip ointment.

Their lip balm is USDA certified organic, gluten-free, and made in the United States. Their products are not tested on animals, and they claim to be dermatologist tested. Some flavors are strawberry sorbet, sweet mint, and honeydew. Each lip balm contains mostly sunflower seed oil and beeswax. Their products also contain moisturizing agents such as shea butter and aloe vera. They are very transparent about the ingredients they do not use in their products that would be drying or unsafe for the skin. A few examples of the ingredients they do not use are parabens, formaldehyde, oxybenzone, and GMOs.

Although their ingredients are all natural, this does not mean they are effective or completely safe. In January of 2016, there was a lawsuit filed by Rachel Cronin. She claims that within hours of applying this lip balm, her lips became drier and more course, causing her to apply more. The next day, the skin surrounding her lips were full of blisters and rashes. This was because of contact dermatitis, which occurs when one touches an allergen. Allergens can be natural ingredients, which EOS contains. Dr. Aleksandar Krunic, a dermatologist professor at University of Illinois College of Medicine, advises that those who are prone to experiencing irritation in their skin should look for lip products that do not contain fragrances, artificial colors, menthol, camphor, alcohol, and salicylic acid.

EOS is a transparent lip brand that sells adorable lip products, but just because it uses natural ingredients does not mean it is not unsafe for certain skin types. Be wary of your skin's sensitivity before investing in this brand!