Why The Iowa Caucus Is Still A Win For Bernie

"Tonight we accomplished what the corporate media and political establishment once believed was impossible. "

21

Born in Brooklyn, New York to a family of Jewish immigrants, Bernie Sanders lived a pretty average life. He was interested in politics from a young age his reason being, "A guy named Adolf Hitler won an election in 1932. He won an election, and 50 million people died as a result of that election in World War II, including 6 million Jews. So what I learned as a little kid is that politics is, in fact, very important." He eventually graduated from the University of Chicago (though he originally began his studies at Brooklyn College) with a degree in political science.

Bernie first stepped into a political position in 1980 as mayor of Burlington, Vermont. Ten years later in 1990, he moved up into a seat in the House of Representatives and from there took a position in the Senate. Bernie was in fact a successful politician but it wasn't until last April when he announced that he was running as a democratic presidential candidate that he became a household name. When the candidates first began making news Bernie Sanders was said to be un-electable, but little by little that began to change.

Last week was the Iowa caucus, over the years the Iowa caucus has become a very big deal. Not only is it the first one each year but some spectators believe it paves the way for how things are going to go nationally.

The weekend prior to the Iowa caucus, Sanders hosted a rally in Iowa. The rally featured a makeshift Vampire Weekend, though front man Ezra Koenig was in attendance one member who has recently announced that he is leaving the band and Vampire Weekend's bassist were not there. To take their place was Dave Longstreth of The Dirty Projectors. At the end of their set Bernie even joined them to perform and he wooed the democratic hearts of Iowa even further. Koenig then took to his a radio to discuss the importance of having a candidate like Bernie and further pushed the message that he is not un-electable.

Many Clinton supporters have been trying to ignore or downplay Bernie's success but that has now become nearly impossible. After reaching 3 million in campaign funding the week before Sanders went into Iowa and nearly beat Clinton. Many people like to think that second place counts for nothing, but in this case they could not be more wrong. Hilary Clinton is a former first lady with abundant funding, corporate backing and an impressive political resume. For someone like Bernie Sanders who is running a grassroots campaign and working with a budget one tenth of Hilary's net worth is astounding. The final results were Clinton in coming in first with 49.9% and Sanders in seconding 49.6%, nearly a dead tie. This goes to show that Bernie Sander is in no way, shape, or form "unelectable." All we can do now is watch as the primaries continue to unfold and be sure to register to vote!