Why 'Get Involved' Is The Worst Piece Of College Advice

Find the organization that allows you to thrive and allows you to grow.

47
Jonathan Daniels

It’s the basic statement that everyone your first year of college will tell you. “Get involved!” “Join as many things as you can!”

You’ll hear it everywhere. Upperclassmen will tell you, professors will tell you, your parents will tell you in hopes of you finding your forever friends and a passion. But, the truth is, “get involved” is one of the worst pieces of advice people can give you.

What people should really tell you is to find something you’re passionate about and give it your all.

When we “get involved,” we can get a little over our heads. We sign up for things we aren’t really sure about, and we become part of organizations where we do nothing. Our plates become too full, so we slack in those clubs or groups that we don’t like as much as others.

Join groups you don’t have to half-ass. Join groups where you can excel and succeed.

Find the organization that allows you to thrive and allows you to grow. Find the group that builds you up, and transforms you into a leader. Become a part of the club that makes you a better you.

People are going to tell you that joining a bunch of groups is going to give you more friends and make your resume look better. But that’s not necessarily true.

You don’t want to be that person that has to miss meetings or important events because you constantly have to balance between multiple clubs (some you might not even enjoy that much). Sometimes, you can find that you completely ignored a group you say you are a part of-- and you do no work for it.

Your resume will look 100 times better if you can show employers the work you do for three organizations as opposed to ten. The hard work you do for one group will show your work ethic better than saying you are in a group you never do anything for.

You’ll grow better friendships in groups that you consistently work hard in and show up to. Those are the best friendships—ones that help each other work hard and succeed.

So, yes, get involved. But get involved in groups that you are passionate about and are willing to work for. The important thing about college is finding people that help you work for what you want, because those are the friends that are preparing you for real life.