I'm An Introvert, And That's OK

I'm An Introvert, And That's OK

I've learned to accept being an introvert.

43
I'm An Introvert, And That's OK

I have always been a very shy person. I never had a big group of friends, and to be honest, I really didn't go out too much. I never liked going to big parties because I found them overwhelming. However, I was always embarrassed by this. I was constantly jealous of girls who made friends so easily and were the life of the party, and I thought that there was something wrong with me because I wasn't like them. I would waste so much time comparing myself to everyone and it would only end up making myself feel worse. There was always something somebody else had that I didn't, and I blamed it all on being an introvert.

I always felt like being an introvert wasn't normal, and that everyone was constantly judging me for not being like the "normal" kid my age. Society puts a negative label on introverts, such as being boring, lame, and weird, so I believed that was how others perceived me. It just took me until recently to accept being an introvert. It is my personality, and like every other personality type, there are flaws that come with it; but there are also great qualities. Because I am an introvert, I am a good listener. When I do go out, I don't make stupid decisions. My close friends are quality friends and don't pressure me into doing stupid things, and they support my goals and help me get me out of my shell, in a good way.

I've also tried to stop comparing myself to others (as hard as that may be). Yes, I may not be as pretty as some other girls, but that is something that is inevitable. There is no point in stressing over the fact that my selfie doesn't get over 200 likes. If only 20 people like my selfie, I should be proud of that. Yes, there are some girls who are flawless, have lots of friends, have a great social life, and they seem to have it all, but I am not them and their lives have absolutely no effect on me. Why should I let it have an effect on me? I know nothing about their personal life so there is no point in comparing myself to them.

One thing that always has made me feel extremely insecure in particular is my lack of a social life. Yes I have friends, but I don't have the stereotypical "college student personality." I don't get blackout drunk, or go clubbing, or even go to bars or parties. My friends and I do low key, or in my opinion, "lame" things like going out to eat, playing board games, or going to the beach. If that's what I am happy doing, then why should I let that bother me? Because it's not, "typical?" Who cares? I'm my own person, and I should do what makes me happy. If being in a crowded bar makes me anxious because I'm around too many people and I feel claustrophobic in such a tight space, then why should I feel embarrassed about that?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being an introvert. If people tell you there is, you don't need them in your life. Just because you don't like to be in crowds or even social situations in general does not mean you are missing out on anything, that you are not normal, or that you should feel embarrassed. If something makes you feel uncomfortable, then there is absolutely no reason to feel embarrassed that you aren't a part of it. Everyone is different and you don't need to be doing what "everyone" is doing in order to enjoy yourself.