No, I Don't Hate You: The Story Of An Introvert

One Introvert's take on why we are the way we are.

6497

For as long as I can remember, I've been a woman of few words. I would rather listen to someone talk for hours than actually do the talking. Because I tend to sit there and take everything in, people assume that I'm either shy, mad, upset, or I just have no interest in the conversation. Sometimes these are true, but it's mainly my personality. I hope this article gives you some insight into introverts and how we think.

One of the first misconceptions people make about introverts is that we're insanely shy or scared to death of people. Some of us are, but I'm not afraid to speak to people. I'm quiet because I don't want to offend anyone. I assess the situation before I offer my opinion. And you never know who just needs someone to listen for a change.

People also assume that introverts are very insecure. I'd like to consider myself outgoing. I acted in theater in high school for four years, I've sung solos before in choir, and I've had various leadership positions. I just like being by myself, sometimes. Being around a lot of people for a while makes me insanely tired, both physically and emotionally. The best way to fix that for me is to be completely alone. Don't take it personally when I decline your invite to go somewhere—I just have no energy to be around people.

I joke and say all the time that I hate people, but that's really not the case. Okay, when people are doing really stupid things that may be true... but I digress. People intrigue me. I love the fact that we all have a different story. That's another reason why I don't talk 24/7. You can't learn other people's stories if you're too preoccupied telling your own.

Probably the biggest thing people need to understand about introverts is that we need time to ourselves to recharge. When I'm in a large group of people, I feel like I have to act more outgoing than I normally would. I don't want to come off as boring or uninterested in what's going on, and I want to make sure that I make a good impression. That's exhausting. It's safe to assume that if I just came back from a party or hanging out with a bunch of people, I don't want to hang out with you. Please don't take it personally; we just need time to recharge.

Introverts are a strange breed. One day we're very involved, and the next we're in our room binge-watching three seasons on Netflix. We don't judge you when you give us your life story, so we just ask that you don't judge us barely giving our names.