13 Struggles Of Being An Introvert In An Extrovert's Major
College

I love when my passion gives me anxiety!

89

I changed my major a little over a year ago, and while I could not be happier, I still have my doubts about this course path. I was an accounting and finance major, but I decided to change things up and go for journalism and public relations. Yes, a very different path. My college career has been a whirlwind. And I love journalism and all the wonderful people I've met during this adventure, I'm just not always 100 percent confident in my skills or if I have what it takes to make it in this field.

1. Even the smallest of tasks feel impossible

Having to write up questions for a survey or getting signatures from other students seems like a perfectly normal assignment. Until you realize you're an introvert and these tasks require talking with other people and then the dread sets in.

2. You constantly question your worth

You know you deserve to be learning the material, but you just don't know if you belong in this major. Or you still feel like you don't fit in with the people who are studying the same major as you.

3. You put off assignments because you're stressed

For some reason, procrastinating makes us feel better, that is until it's less than a week before to due date. Then the stress just intensifies, and it makes matters so much worse.

4. Interviewing people for any reason gives you anxiety

It could be a simple, "What would you change about... ?" question and it'll still cause us so much anxiety. It's unnecessary, but unavoidable because it's hard to talk to people.

5. Public speaking in any sense makes you sweat profusely

Public speaking is just so terrible. Making continuous eye contact and speaking in front of more than two people? No, thank you! I'd rather do anything else, thanks.

6. Making phone calls are literally the worst

Our hearts beat at an unnaturally high pace. Our palms sweat and we get a nervous pit in our stomachs. Sounds like an awesome way to spend an afternoon.

7. You can only network for so long

Yeah, networking is vital in most fields of study, but at what cost? Talking about yourself for hours sounds like torture and I would much rather read a book or watch a TV show.

8. You'd much rather be behind the scenes than anything else

We introverts like to stay in the back and out of the public's eye. Anything we can do to make us look as small possible, the better. We don't mind sitting behind a computer all day, so long as we're pretty much all alone, we're content.

9. Your confidence suffers and it makes you doubt your talent

Professors and peers could literally tell us that our skills are amongst the best, but if we don't believe it ourselves, it won't matter. We are always our biggest critics, and that is very accurate for introverts.

10. You prefer working alone to get anything done

Sure, we can work in a pair or group from time-to-time. But we definitely prefer to be by ourselves and work at our own pace than someone else's.

11. You love what you're doing, you just don't know if you're good enough

Our fields of study are our passions. We love what we're studying, but we suspect deep down, that we don't have the skills to be the best we can be. It's an everyday struggle.

12. You feel like you can't ask anyone for help because you don't want to bother them

Asking for help is a huge step for us. We don't like bothering anyone and would much rather struggle on our own before figuring out what we're supposed to do than ask for help. It isn't a pride or ego thing, it's just that we don't want to bug anyone.

13. You secretly wish you were an extrovert

We've always dreamed of being an extrovert and having the confidence to do what we want. It sounds like a dream, but we also enjoy being an introvert at the same time.