Interview With A Burden To Bear

Interview With A Burden To Bear

Inspirational And Inspiring Band

12
Interview With A Burden To Bear
Abbi Webb

While in college, you have many different opportunities to go to different concerts and parties. Me personally, I will pick a concert over a party every time. Especially when a friend is performing in the band. On October 21st in the year 2016, I went to see my friend perform in the band A Burden To Bear. The members in the band are from all over Indiana and one from Ohio. I got the opportunity to interview A Burden To Bear on Friday October 28th. I was happy that they had agreed to interview with me for this article. A Burden To Bear was created nine months ago and played a live show just recently at Rhino’s All Age Club in Bloomington on October 21st. The show was awesome and the energy coming off of the bands that performed was amazing. Just to see how proud everyone was and to see all the hard work accumulate into one amazing show was awesome. This is the precursor interview to the individual interviews I did with each band member.

What is the name of the band? "A Burden To Bear" The band said together.

How long have you been together? "We’ve been together getting close to a year. From the first idea of it a year. When we were first established we started off with this name “Storming Olympus” but we kind of changed that because not everyone liked it and it just didn’t fit. But as a band in general we started practicing it was probably nine months ago." Said Taylor. "But the band has been a thing for about a year now." Chris said.

How long have you all collectively been playing music? Taylor: "5 to 6 Years" Wyatt: "4 years" Chris: "6 years seven if you count screaming" Jake: "17 years since I was 4 years old."

What made you interested in creating a band? “In general the whole idea of being able to make music and having a message in it for me anyway was being able to speak my mind freely and having stories that hopefully someone could learn something from that I guess that’s where it all started for me.” Taylor. Jake “I was in a band and it was going it was becoming not fun for me anymore so I linked up with Sir Taylor over there” as he motioned towards Taylor down the table from him. “And we had this idea and brought Wyatt into it and I met Wyatt and he was like “Dude I play guitar and I was like me too.” So we just started this band and we picked up Chris along the way.”

Who were your inspirations? "Probably Motionless in White and Beartooth are probably the two biggest ones." Said Wyatt. “Wage war and even a little Devil Wears Prada on my end.” Taylor said.

Where did the idea for the name come from? "We were sitting in the room one night. Wyatt and I’s living room and we basically came to the conclusion that the storming Olympus name was not working for us and we decided that we needed to change it. So we just kind of brainstormed for about three hours almost kind of raking our brains.” Taylor said. “It got to the point where we were basically just looking through the Bible and picking three words and it was like the most demonic shit ever at a hospital one day.” Said Jake. “When we decided to change the name I was like “Well what if we went with like “Burden Of The Mighty.” Then somebody said actually it was Wyatt.” Said Taylor. Then Wyatt said “I said A Burden To Bear.” Taylor said, “And that was kind of like the general consensus because it’s like we all go through burdens and troubles and bad things in our lives and it’s something we all have to bear through and that’s literally what the band is about. We came to a consensus that we want to be about. And even if all the bullshit you go through is there in your life.” Then Chris added. “The name was there and it didn’t click until later on until we said this is our name.”

Where is this band based out of? "We are based out of Vincennes." Taylor said as a smile formed on his face.

Is there an album in the works? "That’s to be expected from a band really." Chris said. "I would be on the lookout in the next 2 to 3 months for sure. Maybe a little bit more at this point. We’re in the process of getting it done right now." Taylor said.

What would be the estimated release date? Jake said jokingly, “Tomorrow.” Chris said, “Probably early spring.” Taylor, “Basically, we’re not like setting a date in our hands like setting a date specifically because we don’t have it physically or digitally in our possession. But I’d say before the summer.”

What is your support system like behind the band? "Alcohol and each other." said Wyatt. Taylor, “I wouldn’t even say that. I’d say it’s the mental strain of each other.” "Other than us in the band, there’s not really anyone helping us except for the fans. The people who say “Hey I want to see what you guys do and what you guys are about.” That’s pretty much it." Said Chris "It also helps that we are tight knit as a group.There’s nothing that we don’t know about each other. We enjoy each other. And you don’t make a band with people you can’t stand." Taylor said.

What is the idea behind the band? "The main idea behind the band is just to kind of to make music that we like and spread a positive message to people and have fun doing what we are doing." Said Taylor "Just be yourself and let all the crap fall behind you." Said Chris. "All of our songs have a message and a story behind them in general. Just take away what you can from that and how ever it can relate to your life." Taylor Said as he was nodding a little.

What is the message of the band? "We all go through struggles. We write a lot of lyrics about things we’ve been through. Not everyone can take away the same thing from the songs that other people can." Taylor said smirking. "Mostly just leave all the things that are bothering you at the front door and have fun when you are seeing us." Jake said while looking at the other guys. "All the burdens that you are going through, just don’t let them bother you. Be yourself. You’ve got to be happy at some point." Chris said. "You’ve got all the burdens through the week from stress, work, and school. When the weekend comes we would like that when you come to see us you just lets the burdens fall and enjoy yourself." Taylor said.