Exclusive Interview With Grace Piper Fields

339

Can you tell us a bit about your new song Alice?

My song, Alice, is the first song on my debut album, Just a Dreamy Idea, and is based on symbolism from Alice in Wonderland. I recently made a music video to this song as well. My version of Alice has my own twist and relates Alice's time in Wonderland to situations we all face. I go back in forth in the lyrics from first and third person to give the impression of telling the story about someone else, but also relating to that person as if I am them. Alice is dreaming during this song, so her experience down the rabbit hole has a dream-like quality. Like all dreams, there is a piece of reality to it. Things really going on in Alice's life are playing out in a fantasy setting. Alice faces the challenge of which path to take. She doesn't know who her real friends are, and where she fits in. The Queen of Hearts and Mad Hatter do not represent any specific people. Rather, they represent stereotypes. The Queen of Hearts is a typical mean girl. She expects Alice to be one of the crowd. Around her, Alice is expected to behave like a follower. It's like the tall poppy syndrome. The queen wants to cut down the poppy that grows too tall because she is threatened by people who stand out. In one scene in the music video, the queen mouths, "Off with her head!" The Mad Hatter represents the situations we find ourselves mixed up in. In the song, "the games people play," refers to mind games. In the video, the nonsensical tea party, the game of chess, and the game of cards all represent these mind games. Have you ever found yourself surrounded by "madness," where you didn't know what your next move should be? Alice also ponders Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum who are other characters in the madness of it all. The spoken line, "I knew who I was this morning, but have changed a few times since then," is an actual quote from the book, Alice in Wonderland. Alice recognizes that she has been changed by her time in the rabbit hole. In the end, Alice does find her own way. This is where I veer off from the traditional story a bit. As she runs down the stairs in the video, the cards fall symbolizing, "let the chips fall where they may." In other words, just allow things to happen without any worry or regret. Alice decides to stand up against the status quo and be the queen she is meant to be. In the bridge of the song, Alice grabs the crown from the queen's head. Keep in mind that she is dreaming, so this is more of a figurative gesture which symbolizes that Alice is no longer held back by other people's opinions. The overall theme and main point of this song is that, "you reap what you sow." Despite all the confusion Alice faces, this is the one thing that she knows. The point is that eventually we all have to face up to the consequences of our own actions.

How would you describe your sound?

I am would describe my sound as Alternative, Delicate Pop.

What's your song writing routine like?

About my song writing routine- I almost always have some sort of song or tune running through my head. Inspiration could strike at almost any time and if at all possible I stop whatever else I am doing and make a recording on the voice memos on my phone. This can be problematic if I happen to be walking to the bus stop or getting ready for school… This could range from vocal melodies, lyric ideas, to guitar or piano tunes. I then write down my ideas in my trusty songbook. Some of these many ideas develop into full songs. My best songs are ones that have come together easily with a tune and lyric concept emerging at the same time.

Are you playing any shows soon?

The next show I am playing at is on March 3rd at The Roxy, which is in the Kansas City area.
Whats your favorite social media app?
My favorite social media app is Instagram! I also enjoy connecting with people through my blog, https://www.gracepiperfields.com/