Dos And Don'ts To Follow Before Your Next Interview

Because somehow we all turned into adults who need real-life jobs

14
Fashionista

Let’s face it. We are nearing the end of our college careers, and employment is right around the corner. The pressure to find a job is all too real. We will all go to multiple interviews for many different jobs, so here is a list of interview do’s and don’ts to get you started:

First, let’s talk about what to wear:

DON’T wear ripped jeans, leggings, sweatpants, or anything less than your Sunday best to an interview. Employers are looking to hire someone professional looking, not a new babysitter for their 7-year-old.

DON’T wear sneakers (unless of course that’s the type of job you are applying for), dirty shoes, or anything you wouldn’t want your grandmother to see you in (maybe save the thigh high boots for the weekend?)

DO wear dress pants, a nice shirt or blouse, and maybe even a nice suit jacket, depending on the type of job you are going for. A nice, put together outfit shows that you have everything together (even if you don’t all the time).

DO wear a smile! Employers want to see someone positive, upbeat, and ready to handle anything. Putting a smile on your face can leave a lasting impression on your interviewer!

Next, hygiene:

DON’T forget deodorant!! Job interviews are nerve-wracking for everyone, and you don’t want to portray anything less than your best.

DON’T eat something with a strong smell! You don’t want your interviewer to know exactly what you ate before coming, so lay off the garlic bread. It’s also always a good idea to pop in a breath mint before going in - only use gum if you know you can dispose of it before the interview, you don’t want to be chewing during it!

DO shower!! You don’t want to hit the gym or run errands and then go immediately to an interview. Come clean and ready to show them what you’re made of.

What’s on your resume:

DON’T put how you babysat when you were in eighth grade or anything along those lines. That is not relevant anymore.

DO put any schooling, work experience, leadership skills, or awards that you have. These make up what can make you different from the other people interviewing for the same job as you.

DO include any computer skills you may have. Computer skills are crucial, pretty much every type of job requires some level of understanding, and the more you have, the better off you will be.

When you are sitting in the interview:

DON’T be late! Being late is not a good first impression, so be on time for sure, and if possible, be early! That shows you are responsible and ready to work.

DON’T say things like “yeah.” Say “yes.” Don’t use slang, filler words like “umm…” or shortened words. You are an adult, who is attempting to get a serious, real-life job - employers don’t want to hear needless jargon.

DON’T use your cell phone! Put your phone in your purse or pocket, on silent, and do not pick it up during your interview. No one wants to hire someone who is glued to their phone, and if you can’t even go an interview without checking it, this isn’t the job for you.

DO shake your potential employer’s hand! This is common courtesy when meeting someone new and can sometimes be forgotten with this generation. Show your future boss that you are not a part of that - you are well-mannered and polite.

DO make eye contact! One of the number one things employers say when looking to hire new people is that they don’t make eye contact. That shows a lack of respect, even disinterest in the potential job. Make eye contact, show them that you want to be there and are excited about the position.

DO have confidence!! Clearly there is a reason that you were asked to come to this interview, so show your interviewer exactly what that is!

DO be yourself! While that may be an oddly phrased sentence, it is important to be yourself in an interview. That way, there are no surprises later on and your employer knows exactly who they are hiring. It’s never a good idea to try and be someone you aren’t.

Finally, at the end of the interview, when asked if you have any questions, ask your potential employer if they have any concerns in regards to your resume. By doing this, it can ensure that any gray areas are cleared up and there is no confusion.

Now go get that job with your newfound interview tips!

Good luck!