Can Love Reach Across Borders?

Can Love Reach Across Borders?

Can you truly find your soulmate while abroad?

49
Can Love Reach Across Borders?

They say love comes at you when you least expect it. It can be a subtle meeting at a farmer's market or a shoulder bump while walking down the busy city streets. Many people can go their entire lives without finding their soulmate- while for others, it can come so naturally that they couldn't imagine their lives alone. No matter how it happens, if it happens, and when it does, it can be the best thing to happen in one's life.

Going abroad, one doesn't plan on falling in love, especially knowing they are only in this new place temporarily and will be returning home. But what happens when you're out on a walking tour in the new city and BOOM- you lock eyes with a tall, handsome French man and you know he's the one. You get butterflies in your stomach; your legs start to feel like noodles; the whole scene is a romance movie scenario. But what do you do next? Do you pursue it in hopes of a happily ever after, or just let it go and remember the time as a cryptic feeling?

Now moving past the sappy love intro, my question is: would one be able to actually find their soulmate while abroad? Would the language barrier be too much? Would the difference in culture make one go crazy or can love prevail no matter the place and time? Would going to a different country be the answer for so many who seek love yet never seem to find it around the corner?

I believe one can, and I have heard that many have found the love of their lives abroad. But it can come with a heavy burden. There is always one in the relationship who sacrifices something significant, such as family, starting over in a new country, and just changing their lives entirely for this person whom they love. Being someone who has never experienced it, I don't think it is worth it, but seeing the happiness in the eyes that have- it is clear as day that it was the best decision they have made. All that sacrifice and strife is worth it to be with the one they love, even if it takes time and lots of FaceTime calls. Love always prevails, and if you were to find the love of your life while aboard, then it can work out and maybe you can have that happily ever after.

Now I'm not saying I will be on the prowl for my soulmate. I'm okay with focusing on taking in the city and my overall experience here. But if someone were to sweep me off my feet and show me that they are possibly the one, then maybe I'll have my happily ever after abroad as well.