I Spent A Week At An International Camp And Here's What I Learned

West Sussex International Camp exposes Scouts and Guides to experiences and friends that'll shape their lives.

11
Mackenzie Skinner

Somewhere between the accents and slight translation issues, I found a temporary home in West Sussex International Camp. Traveling for 3,600 miles just to end up in an open field littered with canvas tents and screaming Scouts isn’t exactly “worth it” to most people… at least not in theory, but for me it meant everything.

When I was 13, that’s exactly the situation I found myself in. From opening ceremonies adorned in our Scout and Guide uniforms to closing ceremonies, drenched in sweat (probably not my own) and being pressed against thousands of other teens amidst a ‘lit’ dance party, I knew WS was one of the best experiences of my life. That’s why, just before I turned 18, I found myself with my duffel bag packed standing before the airport terminal that would lead me to my plane bound for England.

Luckily, I got to relive such an amazing week all over again, and this time, I wanted to document just why International Camps are so important, especially for our generation.

Today, we live in a broken world. While every generation has been sure to claim that hyperbole at some point, our generation seems so very adamant to solve that. Yet, we all find ourselves trapped in our own bubble, our own shells, of everyday life in a normal town. Breaking these barriers is the first step to solving the world, which in itself is a puzzle.

That’s why we need International Camps. They break you out of your every day and launch you into our overall society. Suddenly, I found myself surrounded by people of different races, religions, nationalities, and outlooks. Before the first night had come to a close, I had partied with Italians and Chinese, chatted with the British and Kenyans, and laughed with the French and Turkish. Each of these troops brought something beautiful to the melting pot of camp.

And while the cultural benefits are a major part of what makes this camp so amazing, it truly is the bonds you form that impact you forever. Within the span of a week, your whole life shifts. People you met only days before become trusted with secrets you wouldn't dare whisper to friends you’ve had for years. And while sometimes their accent and slang might make communication difficult, you still dig deeper to meet someone that you would never have been able to before.

The best part? Scouts. Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, Girl Guiding, etc. All these amazing organizations come together at West Sussex International camp every four years to throw together the best summer camp there has ever been. This year the theme was Harry Potter. Honestly, what better way to remind you that you are in the British countryside.

During the week Scouts had the opportunity to learn to wand duel, participate in crafts, walk on stilts, dress up, kayak, do high adventure rope courses, and so much more. However, between all the fun and games, the Scout and Guiding programs came back to their roots and raised money for two amazing charities through a twenty pent fair. Basically, this camp was all of what you think of Scouts and Guides wrapped into one amazing week.

Looking back, however, there’s no way to express this to anyone. I can describe only so much before pure nostalgia becomes unable to be distinguished from babbling nonsense. An open field, some canvas tents, a nightly DJ, and a whole lot of energetic teens. That’s West Sussex International Camp… a home 3,600 miles away from my home.

The thing about West Sussex is every moment is now embedded into who I am. You’d think that these friendships I made would be fleeting, but the truth is I still talk to my friends from WS2013. I consider them some of my best friends. Afterall, if a friendship can withstand that many miles, then they are stronger than any friendship forged from a common location. These camping days will not leave me, but I wish I hadn’t left them.

I dare you to attend an International Camp. I dare you to break down your walls. I dare you to make friends for life. Every single human in our generation deserves this opportunity but needs this opportunity. Traveling abroad for students is becoming increasingly important as we find ourselves in a more global world. As our economy and sociology shifts to be much more world focused, we, individually, must make that shift as well.

An opportunity like this has left me as a better person. This camp helped me to empathize with my fellow humans and connected me to the bigger picture. This trip is how Girl Scouts taught me how to be a girl of confidence, one of their goals. Most importantly, however, this camp linked me to friends that have shaped my life for the better.

If you’d like an opportunity like this one, find it. Travel as a student through your university or through nonprofit organizations. However, if you are interested in West Sussex International Camp, you can check them out here.