When The Professor Says, "Let's All Share An Interesting Fact About Ourselves"

Cue the internal screaming.

27

Person: “Hi, let's go around the room introduce ourselves and share an interesting fact about yourself.”

Me: (internal screaming followed by racking my brain for anything interesting about me)

Should I tell you where I am from? That’s kind of boring.
I have never left the country? Not that exciting.
Maybe I’ll mention all the places I have traveled? Wait, I don’t travel.
I do have four siblings? Is that even fun?

As it gets closer to my turn to share about myself, I think the possibilities are endless.

This is when I realize just how spectacular my life is, (LOL), and I can’t narrow it down to one quick fact.

But seriously, trying to find an interesting or fun fact is hard.

Essentially, I want to pick that one thing that no one else in the room can say, and use it to subtly brag about how unique I am.

Trying to find that one phrase that gets people’s minds going, wondering what I do in my free time and how exciting my life is, and maybe creating a relationship off that.

NO PRESSURE AT ALL.

Well, maybe I think I am hilarious. But if I tell you that you expect me to be funny, and if you don’t think I am, that is a miss.

I may not travel a lot but my imagination runs wild and my future has so many possibilities, but that’s not a now thing.

I don’t know, I just don’t want to share an interesting or fun fact about me, I want to learn your name and talk to you as I see fit.

I don’t want to be recognized by some talent or experience I claim to have, I’d prefer to tell you my spirit animal or the food I can’t stand to eat. To me that can lead somewhere, and tell me something about the way others think.

Plus, it also removes the pressure of trying to come up with some creative fact in order to make an impression.

I don’t know about you, but an interesting fact is more stressful than it is fun. I guess I should try and think of some good answer to this question, since I haven’t avoided it this far and I doubt it will go away anytime soon. Is it interesting that I can take a 4 hour nap or watch 12 hours of Netflix straight? I can read an book in a day, or eat a whole box of cookies less than an hour. Ehh, maybe I’ll just have to go out and do something before asked for another interesting fact!