Inside The Introvert

Inside The Introvert

A look inside the minds that trap introverts.

15
Inside The Introvert
Josephine Mayfield

Introverted. A lot of people today claim to be introverted without fully understanding what it means. Being introverted is so much more than not wanting to be around people. Locking yourself in your room and watching Netflix for forty hours straight does not make you an introvert. Not all introverts have nerdy interests. Not everyone who has nerdy interests is an introvert. Not everyone who reads is an introvert. Not everyone who is introverted reads. And not everyone who is an introvert is always an introvert.

Being an introvert means that somewhere along the way you got locked inside your own head. One day your thoughts became so loud you couldn't hear the people around you. Oh, those people in the corner are laughing? "Did you miss a joke? Should you have been paying attention? Are you the one they're laughing at? Do you laugh enough? Would you even find it funny..." You could go on for days.

An introverts brain never stops. It keeps you awake at night. It distracts you. Consumes you. You think you like something? Introverts can love anything. You have a boyfriend or girlfriend and they bring you a bottle of water. "They are just so thoughtful. They always do nice things. They care for their family. They'll be a great spouse one day. They'll make a great parent." And even though they've been your significant other for a week, you're in love. That's part of the reason people say introverts avoid people. We love so fiercely, and so quickly, It doesn't come as much of a surprise that in the end, we usually end up hurt.

So why not stay alone? Our rampant thoughts will keep us company. Being introverted means being alone with your thoughts. Because you will over think any relationship until it's broken. So how do you overcome that? You open your mouth. You let words come out. For every fifty thoughts you have, you say twenty-five. You let people hear you. Your thoughts may be outlandish. They may be extremely over-thought. But chances are people will love you for that.

So be an introvert, but you don't have to be alone.