Becoming a leader and influential person in college
Politics

How To Become Influential Inside and Outside of The Classroom

Making sure you make a mark everywhere you go.

256
railroad tracks

The goal of most college students is to stand out both inside and outside the college. Students often look for ways to differentiate themselves from a pool of candidates they will be competing against to win an opening in a coveted college. In fact, some students believe writing down a stellar persuasive essay will tip the scale in their favor. In contrast, others think an outstanding recommendation or a lengthy list of achievements will separate them from the pack. While all these elements are essential for college applicants, showing how you've have made an impact both inside and outside the classroom is the best way to stand out from the rest.

College students can be impactful in many ways. Students should start by identifying things they are passionate about as well as their interests. There are many things to get involved with such as joining a club as a volunteer. Knowing your interests is the first step towards becoming impactful both inside and outside the school.

Take Initiative

IdeaNathan Dumlao

Taking the initiative often makes a student impactful. People become leaders for taking the initiative. Students should never hesitate to speak up once they spot a problem they can resolve. Moreover, students should never be afraid to look for more opportunities to keep their interests engaged. Sometimes you need to join a club to get involved in things that interest you. Perhaps a theatre-lover was held up and didn't show up for the latest production. As such, one can help in creating the set or volunteer as the costume crew. Students should take the initiative and use that opportunity to help others reach their career goal.

Avoid Absenteeism at School

Classroompixabay.com

Your impact at school matters as well. Of course, school counselors and teachers need to know you well to write a compelling and thoughtful recommendation for you. Being present at classroom is enough to make an impact at school. Interact with other students, ask questions, and participate in group discussions. Curious and thoughtful students often help make the classroom environment more exciting and fun. In fact, every student has the potential to shape the school environment positively. Being impactful at classroom environment can be as simple as being concerned about your classmates. Your focus should be to make a significant difference at school as well as within the surrounding community. Colleges are looking for students who can change their campus and influence training programs. In fact, no demonstration of impact outweighs the other as long as you're genuine enough. The impression you made in high school can help convince a college that you will be an influential and thoughtful student.

Be a Leader

LeaderMiguel Á. Padriñán

Taking a leadership role in a club or community activities is one of the best ways to be impactful inside and outside the classroom. However, it doesn't mean that your work is over just because you were elected club president. A leader means nothing if his or her role makes no difference. Even without a title, one can be a leader as long as you guide your peers toward a common goal. You could lead your club toward supporting a charity course. You can come up with ideas to raise money for a local charity and look for ways to accomplish the corporate goal. A leader always looks for ways to solicit donors to raise more funds toward a humanitarian initiative. The role of a leader is to identify needs and formulate ways to move forward.

Make a Long-Term Commitment

HandshakeCytonn Photography

It's often hard to make an impact in a drama club or charity group if you participated only for a few weeks or days. You need to make a long-term commitment to make a mark on something. It's difficult to showcase how your participation influenced or shaped a school or community if you rarely participated in activities or clubs. Evaluate your interests and determine if there are a few you can devote to things that you love most.