5 Things I Wish People Knew About Me As An INFJ

188
Khusen Rustamov via Pixabay

I am "The Advocate" according to the MBTI personality test. I score well over 80% in the categories of introversion, intuition, feeling, and judging. Thus, my Jungian functions are introverted intuition (dominant), extraverted feeling (auxiliary), introverted thinking (tertiary), and extraverted sensing (inferior). As an INFJ, here are some things I wish people knew about me.

1. I feel everything deeply.

I am extremely empathetic. I cry during sad movies. I feel other people's pain, even if they are far away. My feeling score is over 90%, my strongest MBTI category score. My kindness has been taken advantage of in the past, but I am learning that you can be a kind person and still say no. I am learning to see my depth of feeling as a strength instead of a weakness.

2. I hide my "true self."

Even though I am an extraverted feeler, most people in my life would never know this. That's because I don't show them. For the most part, I keep my thoughts and feelings to myself. I sometimes find it unnecessary to reveal such details, especially when I feel the relationship is not worth the investment. Sometimes, I feel I may be misunderstood or people will not reciprocate my openness. Few people gain entrance into my rich inner world. Still, there are parts of me that are reserved only for me.

3. I frequently need alone time.

As an introvert, I have to retreat into myself to get away from the busy world. I much prefer time with myself over a large party. I often don't go out a lot because large crowds drain me of energy. To recharge, I need a lot of alone time with my cats. I like going out, but I often don't feel up to it. I hope my friends know that when I blow them off, it really has nothing to do with them.

4. I am a perfectionist to a fault.

When asked about their weaknesses in a job interview, some people will say, "I'm a perfectionist." Well, I really am. It is good to want to do better, but I always feel like I could be doing better. It takes me a long time to complete a task. I scrutinize the tiniest details, often not leaving myself enough time to think about the bigger picture. Even after I complete a task, I run the scenario over and over in my head, thinking about what I could have done better.

5. At my best, I am creative, determined, and passionate.

If my heart is not in something, I can burn out easily. I have no time for things that do not align with my values. This can be seen as a bad thing, but ultimately, it is a good thing. When my heart is in it, I am on top of the world. I am compassionate, creative, insightful, determined, and passionate.