13 Films to Add to Your 2021 Movie List

13 Films to Add to Your 2021 Movie List

From classics to independent films

54
13 Films to Add to Your 2021 Movie List

It is 2021 and there are a couple of films coming out but with COVID-19 most theaters are closed. However, there are still a lot of movies to catch up on. Here is a list of independent films and a couple of classics to catch up on in 2021.

Perfect Sisters (2014)

MakeAGif

A heart wrenching, bone-chilling story about two sisters who plot to kill their mother after dealing with her alcoholism and abusive boyfriends. Perfect Sisters had a unique way of telling this true story and kept your attention the entire time. It was compelling and will leave you in tears.

A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)

FlixChatter

Based on a play by Tennessee Williams, this 50s drama is about a woman named Blanche who moves in with her sister and her husband in New Orleans. Blanche moving in causes a riff between the two lovers and she notices the husband's angry behavior. A Streetcar Named Desire has a compelling plot and shows amazing acting from Vivien Leigh.

Submarine (2010)

Rebloggy

Submarine is about a Welsh teen who is struggling to balance his attention on two big things in his life: his love for his new girlfriend Jordana and keeping his divorcing parents together. This independent film has a lot of wit and a bit of drama. A great performance of Craig Roberts who plays the main character Oliver Tate.

The Basketball Diaries (1995)

Wattpad

This indie film has a lot of well-known actors/actresses as it features Leonardo DiCaprio, Mark Wahlberg and Juliette Lewis. The acting is extremely impressive as it is a hard topic. Jim Carroll (DiCaprio) is a high school basketball player who develops an addiction to heroin. This film is based on a true story and tells Carroll's story in a both heartbreaking and beautiful way.

Maurice (1987)

Maurice joins Cambridge and befriends Clive. The two end up having a short romantic relationship until Clive becomes worried that it will tarnish his families wealthy reputation. Their relationship comes to end while they continue their friendship, both witnessing the other move on. This film has a beautiful, peaceful aesthetic and portrays the sorrows of a love story in a bittersweet way.

The Road Within (2014)

TheJournal

A man with Tourette's syndrome (Vincent), a man with OCD and an anorexic woman break out of the resort and go on a road trip. Their goal is to spread Vincent's mothers ashes at the ocean. This film was witty and bittersweet. It will make you laugh so hard your stomach hurts and cry your eyes out at the same time. Amazing performances from Robert Sheehan, Zoe Kravitz and Dev Patel.

Miss Stevens (2016)

A high school English teacher chaperones a weekend trip for three of her students to enter a drama competition. Billy being slightly rebellious, Margot being a perfectionist and the witty Sam. This road trip film was witty and charming as it tells the story of all the characters.

Drugstore Cowboy (1989)

PrimoGif

Bob Hughes (Matt Dillon) is the leader of drug addicts, that consists of his wife and another couple. They afford their addictions by robbing drug stores across the country. After a tragedy strikes, he decides to go straight and leaves the group. However, his past seems to keep coming back. This independent film was compelling and bittersweet as it tells a tragic story.

Taxi Driver (1976)

Taxi Driver is the infamous film known for it's line "are you talking to me?" *insert Robert De Niro's voice*

Travis takes up a job as a taxi driver in New York city. He witnesses the dangers of the city at night and becomes obsessed with changing things. As he becomes detached from reality, he plots to kill a presidential candidate, believing it will save the city. Instead, his attention falls on rescuing a young girl who is mixed up in the dangers of prostitution.

Yes God Yes (2019)

FanForum

A girl named Alice enters her Catholic school's camp trip and struggles with tempting "sinful" thoughts after an AOL chat turns into something she didn't expect. This film is hilariously witty, filled with innuendos and shows amazing acting from Natalia Dyer.

Filth (2013)

Rebloggy

Filth is a gritty crime film about a drug addicted, manipulative agent who tries to solve a murder before his fellow agents. While trying to win this case he experiences severe hallucinations and flashbacks to his past. James McAvoy is impressive as always as he plays an intense character with great depth. It will leave you in awe with all the twists in this witty, "filthy" film.

Ten Inch Hero (2007)

WiffleGif

This independent film is about four friends who work at a California sandwich shop. They are all searching for love and leaning on each other for advice. It consists of bittersweet drama and comedic moments. Jensen Ackles' wild and witty character, Priestly, is another great reason to see this adorable film.

Wilde (1997)

Tumblr

This is based on the writer Oscar Wilde, well-known for The Picture of Dorian Gray. Wilde is a writer who is married with children but also has casual affairs with men. However, he meets Bosie (Jude Law) and feels for him deeper than he expected. This puts him in a legal dispute with Bosie's father and because of anti-gay laws, he is sent to jail with "hard labor." This movie tells Wilde's story beautifully and gives a bittersweet end.

All of these choices have compelling story plots and amazing acting. These films go from being heartbreaking to being filled with wit. I hope you enjoyed this throwback to some classics and independent films. Happy watching!