5 Independent Films With Interesting Storylines

Unique storylines and interesting cinematography

5

Small films can have the best storylines and a lot of uniqueness to them. They can be inspiring and breathtaking. Here are 5 films that have amazing storylines and took my breath away.

Her Smell (2018)

Her Smell stars Elizabeth Moss, Cara Delevingne, Ashley Benson and Amber Heard. It is directed by Alex Ross Perry. Her Smell is about a lead singer named Becky Something who is a talented rock artist but is self-destructive due to her addictions and a lot of anger. She begins to treat everyone around her including her band mates badly and is very unreliable. This tells her story along with her bandmates story and how she finally overcame her own demons. The story and style of this movie was impressive. The acting is amazing and the soundtrack is one to download.

Lost in Translation (2003)

Lost in Translation is an indie film that stars Bill Murray and Scarlet Johansson. It is directed by an indie film queen, Sofia Coppola. Bob Harris (Murray) is a lonely movie star and Charlotte (Johansson) is a girl who feels lost. Although the two are both in relationships, when they meet in Tokyo they create more than a friendship bond during their short time together. The story is interesting and the acting is unique.

Moonlight (2016)

Moonlight stars Mahershala Ali, Trevante Rhodes and Naomie Harris. It is directed by Barry Jenkins. Moonlight is about a boy named Chiron and his life growing up in Miami. His life has been difficult due to a mother who struggles with addiction, the absence of a father and the bullying because of his sexuality. He finds comfort in Juan (Ali) and his wife Teresa (Janelle Monae) as parental figures and has a romance with his best friend Kevin. This film has amazing cinematography, great acting and a storyline that inspires.

50/50 (2011)

GiftedGeneration

50/50 stars Joesph Gordon-Levitt and Seth Rogen. It is directed by Jonathan Levine. Adam Lerner (Gordon-Levitt) finds out he has a tumor along his spine and is giving a 50/50 chance of survival. He tries to remain calm and live his life normally with the help of his humor-filled friend, Kyle (Rogen). He agrees to see a therapist (Anna Kendrick) who start to surpass a doctor and patient relationship. The movie is both funny and also heart-filled, making it a very unique film.

Von Lux

Gfycat

Von Lux stars Natalie Portman and Jude Law. It is directed by Brady Corbet. Von Lux is about a girl who becomes a pop star after facing a horrible tragedy that always stays in the back of her mind. As she grows to become a very famous pop star she starts to lose herself with addictions and the inside pain that never left. The story is heartbreaking and the cinematography is interesting. Corbet created a very unique film with a hard topic.

I hope you enjoyed this list of impressive independent films. They each told a very real story whether it is about a hard life, mental health or loneliness. It is always great to see films with such uniqueness and creativity.