Independent Coffee Shop Review: Tribeca Gallery Cafe & Books

Sometimes the best coffee shops are hidden and local.

20

One of my favorite things in the world is going to coffee shops. I remember trying out and visiting a variety of coffee shops last summer in particular. Whether it be an independent coffee house, a cozy nook like one on the edge of town, or big names like Starbucks or Gloria Jean's, I'm up for anything that obtains espresso, a good atmosphere and filled with warm, welcoming vibes. However, there is one coffee shop in particular that has my heart -- and I can safely say that I have been a regular for about six years, now. Yes, I think this coffee house and I share a pretty great love affair.

Tribeca's Gallery Cafe and Books is literally my favorite place in my hometown of Watertown, Wisconsin. Whenever I come back to visit family or friends, I almost always have to make a quick (or lengthy) stop at the town's local / indie coffee shop for a good brew. It's been without a doubt one of the most popular meeting places for my friends and I.

"Where do you want to meet up?"

"Tribeca's OK?"

"Yep! Sounds good!"

Tribeca's is a locally owned and operated coffeehouse and bookstore that first opened in April of 2007, and is located in the heart of Historic Watertown. One unique thing about Tribeca is that they carry a lot of mainstream authors and popular books, but also recommend and support independent writer's and artists as well -- and I think that's one of the many things that has drawn me to the place.

Besides serving a wide variety of coffees, smoothies, select wines, hot chocolate, Italian sodas and teas, Tribeca's message to the community is to welcome all newcomers with a quaint attitude, and continuously supports many local community organizations and artists (writers, musicians and artists) with their passion and careers. By doing so, you can head down to Tribeca and enjoy a delicious Central Park Latte (one of my favorites) while listening to a local artist perform in the bookstore. Or you can catch an up and coming local author during readings and book signings.

Another wonderful thing that the coffeehouse and bookstore does, is hold art show casing, mainly for the students at Watertown High School -- which is held during the annual Art Walks in town during the spring. I've been there a few times, and even had some of my work shown while I was taking an art class in high school. Whether you're meeting a friend for a cup of coffee, or want to spend a rainy afternoon reading or working on homework in the upstairs loft, (my other favorite part) Tribeca is sure to make you feel welcome with it's super friendly barista's and staff.

Hungry? Tribeca also serves fresh sandwiches, a variety of bakery goods and salads. Personally, the cinnamon rolls are my favorite, and I have heard that the wraps are great -- I have yet to try those. If I were an official reviewer of coffee shops, then I would give this place a four stars out of four stars -- but maybe I'm just biased.

I think Tribecas will always be my favorite coffeehouse and bookstore because it holds a lot of sentimental value for me, as well. I know that I want to travel the world, but when I come back to visit the ones I love, I am certain that I will have to make a stop at the special little Gallery Cafe that has officially become one of my favorite places over the years. So if you are a coffee connoisseur like myself and are near the area, or are stopping by, I would definitely check out Tribeca's Gallery Cafe and Bookstore because you will be anything, but disappointed when you leave -- I can guarantee that.