Independence Day: Resurgence And Other Movie Sequels That Are Absolutely Uneccessary But Totally Awesome Anyway

A closer look at some of Hollywood's best modern sequels of decades old originals.

20

Twenty years after its initial film release, Independence Day is making a comeback. A sequel, titled Independence Day: Resurgence has recently graced the screen, following the original plot line an entire two decades later.

In my family, with my father and two younger brothers, there was no question in my house whether or not we would see it. After seeing movie trailers and hurried, excited whispers of "Oh, we've GOT to see that!", we were in.

As a tradition, whenever we're at the beach, my family and I make the drive to Panama City's Grand IMAX Theatre. It was there, that after approximately two hours of alien fighting insanity, we were puked back out into the humid Florida air. Walking back to our car, the five of us relived our favorite moments and how we knew exactly what was going to happen all along. Turning to my parents I laughed, "You know, I wonder if they just keep a running tab on all the movies from the 80s and 90s that they can add to each year." Then, I was only joking, but now, when I think about it, why wouldn't movie makers do that? It actually sounds ingenious. So here's my compilation of some of the best modern sequels of older movies:

Terminator Genisys (Original-1984, Latest-2015)

Three words- Aging. Arnold. Schwarzenegger. In a twisted turn of events, soldier Kyle Reese is sent back in time to 1984, in a quest to save hero, John Conner's, mother. Although the time machine portion of the movie made things a tad more confusing, the overall effect was killer- quite literally. While I'm sure Skynet was terrifying in the 80s, the self-aware technology has become a new horror since the rise of smart phones and your favorite personal assistant, Siri. Plus, 1984? As in the paralyzing book on human freedom, and the year the Macintosh computer was released? That's not an accident.

Indiana Jones and The Crystal Skull (Original-1981, Latest-2008)

Harrison Ford + Shia LaBeouf? Yes, please! When Indie is forced to help Soviet Union soldiers find a crystal skull, he is once again on the run in search of the mystical object. I think I can speak for everyone when I say- this movie was SO cool. You can't help but root and cheer for Indiana and his new sidekick (and son!) Mutt. The adventures that the men take together reflect everyone's wildest dreams. The chance to fight bad guys, ride motorcycles at high speeds, and save the girl are all allowed AND encouraged. One of the best parts of the movie? In the ending wedding scene, when Indiana and Marion finally tie the knot, Mutt picks up Indiana's hat like he's going to put it on, when suddenly, Indiana turns around and takes it from him. It's the perfect nod to Harrison Ford's legacy.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Original- 1977, Latest- 2015)

While I consider myself a fan of the Star Wars franchise, I do know that I am not the die-hard fan like some. However, that did not hinder me from enjoying this movie! As with many movies sequels, the parts that really ties the audience to the movie are the recurring characters, none of which people have been half as excited to see as those from the original Star Wars. Luke, Leia, Han Solo, Chewbacca, and several others make appearances and are joined by the newbies Finn, Rey, and Kylo Ren. I was happiest to see that there were several cheesy moments that were avoided. Honestly, by the end, I expected Rey to find out that her twin brother happened to be Kylo Ren. Whew! *wipes brow* At least we dodged that bullet.

Finding Dory (Original- 2003, Latest-2016)

Finally! After years of anticipation, tears, and full on longing, audiences were met with the happiness that was Finding Dory. Baby Dory met all expectations and could not have been cuter. As my 5 year old cousin says, "She's just so cute, I want to squeeze her guts out. I can't stand it!" This movie, as a Disney movie usually does, spoke to the hearts of everyone involved. The amount of love that Dory's parents had for her, placing shell after shell after shell out in hopes that she would one day come home, made people cry no matter if they were eight or eighty. A better ending couldn't have been possible with every character living together from Hank the septapus, to Dory and her parents.

Now, as for movie sequels of which I am anticipating? Definitely, Ghostbusters which will be released within the coming weeks. As a huge Harry Potter geek, buff, aficionado, whatever your term, I can't wait for Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them spinoff, either. However, possibly the most exciting of all will be The Incredibles 2. Having been able to quote the entire movie since it came out, I think you can say I'm a little bit involved.