Picking A College

Picking A College

As told by an indecisive student

2
Picking A College
Clip art panda

Dear High School Senior,

You did it. You made it through four years of high school. All of your hard work and dedication come down to one final decision. Picking a college was always a task you imagined would be easy. You said time and time again, the issue would be getting into schools, deciding where to go would be the easy part. Trust me, being indecisive is tough enough, add in the fact that you are making a decision regarding the rest of your life, and the decision becomes nearly impossible.

In November

The first mistake you made was applying to 20 different colleges. All of which were completely opposite, in destinations all over the country. You blame your extensive list of college applications on the fact that you were not sure where you wanted to go. You wanted to have several options. You convince yourself that you may not get in anywhere, so you keep adding onto your already overwhelming list of prospective colleges.

In February

As the acceptance letters role in you are shocked to see how many schools you have been accepted to. With each acceptance the excitement mounts and you become equally excited about all of your options.

In March

As you hear back from the remainder of the universities, you start to weigh the positives and negatives for each school. You can’t find any that you definitely want to rule out because you are scared to throw away the chance of being at the place that you belong. You start to feel the pressure as April approaches.

In April

You are forced to start picking your top colleges at the begging of the month, but quickly realize you're in a lot of trouble since your top choices are vastly different types of schools. With each passing day you change your path and re-decide which university you will attend. By the end of April you are pleading for more time wondering if it is possible to attend more than one university. Your ultimate decision will be left for April 30th. You become frustrated as your friends and family tell you that you need to decide despite having two more days to choose.

April 30

You reluctantly finalize your decision and hit submit in order to pay your deposit. The second that you receive the confirmation that you are enrolled, it feels as if a weight has been lifted off of your shoulders. The uncertainty and resistance you felt regarding college is in the past, you now have your forever home. High school senior, you have made one of the most crucial decisions of your life, and you survived. You are proud to tell your friends and family where you will be attending in the fall, as it was a long time coming. I'm sure that you will love wherever you end up, but don't forget, there are always options for us indecisive students.

Sincerely,
An indecisive (transfer) student.