AN INCONSPICUOUS THREAT: AMBIVALENCE

AN INCONSPICUOUS THREAT: AMBIVALENCE

A tie between LGBTQ's role in the community and the fight against ambivalence.

18
AN INCONSPICUOUS THREAT: AMBIVALENCE
The Washington Post

Prologue

Hopefully, you’ve read the title: LGBTQ. You might recognize that this topic is a little different from the articles I’ve previously written. The rhetoric surrounding LGBTQ has influences that are much deeper, personal, impactful, and heart-wrenching. My friends, family, and many students frequently asked me when I would write a piece on subjects that could be more controversial; such as abortion, the immigrant policy, and our economic condition. Furthermore, these blog posts or articles have really become an inspiration to me because I believe every individual has unique and wonderful dreams, aspirations, and destiny. Thank you all for the support!

If I'm heterosexual why does it matter to me?” Often we cling to a philosophy that two ideas or movements only can have 2 ways of overcoming problems. Mentioning a few: Right/Wrong, Republic/Democrat, Prochoice/Prolife. To jump out of the rabbit trail – There are dangers to dichotomous logic and reason. Life is subjective and most times, two solutions cannot mend the damage completely- However, we need to be aware of the stigma and be empathetic and embrace those who are amidst difficult seasons. Meaning, not only being aware of the event that caused painful emotions, but being conscious of our beliefs about that event. (This concept intends to understand irrational thinking and logic and seeks to encourage the individual to be rational, use reason, understand their irrationality, and become more of a holistic person. – Cognitive Behavior Therapy REBT). One word that appears in my mind anti-LGBTQ is ambivalence. Ambivalence is one of my biggest pet peeves. A lay person would call ambivalence passiveness or uncertainty. My definition of ambivalence might differ from some dictionaries, so to propose my own definition: The cognitive reasoning to consciously refrain and disengage in an action or cease examining beliefs, ideas, perspective, emotion, drives, motivations, experiences, of others. Ambivalence.

Ambivalence, in certain circumstances, can be a shrewd, arrogant state of mind. Ambivalence, conflicted feelings, passiveness, disengagement, dull, uncertain, reluctant, and close-mindedness. My introduction for this section may sound hasty or gritty, however, I tell my readers that I seldom discuss certain, controversial issues. Nevertheless, the soul between the different arguments, reinforced with peoples’ intense passion and monumental support become a portion of my heart’s desire which built into inspiration. Finally, I’m hoping that the wisdom, intelligence, and confidence, that I became familiar with through many experiences, mistakes, achievements and my supportive family, enable me to speak with passion, intent, wisdom, and authority on this subject.

Who are you? What are your talents, values, strengths? Might as well get to know me, right? My name is Hunter, Twenty-years old, Sophomore at NU studying counseling and research psychology. I’m a very empathetic and deep individual who enjoys being a voice to values that society often seems to lack. While we begin to discuss LGBTQ, what are your views surrounding marriage rights? Is affirmative action the correct route? Personally, it took me a significant amount of time to understand why minorities were often neglected in society when I was younger. Meanwhile, being young and innocent, I did not comprehend what all the frightening stores on the news realistically meant. I was taught the history, the dates, the details, the victories, and the motivations of nations. But what about the hearts, motivation, and purposes of individuals? I began to a see more empathetically as I traveled, met wonderful people, and learned to view new perspectives with a more empathetic, inclusive lens.

So, what now? What is your concern? Really? Trash your laptop, throw your phone in the garbage and express that deep care you have for someone who means the world to you. As a heterosexual, Christian, white male, I will never be able to understand of the perspectives of the many individuals who belong to the LGBTQ community. I do not condemn or judge anyone’s way people have had difficult times finof living, or criticize beliefs, ideals, and morals. I may agree, I may disagree. However, some of the most fundamental aspects to pursue in any society, culture, or community is compassion, empathy, embrace,authenticity, and open-mindedness.

You got me! I’m not out there protesting for love and marriage for all. So, you’d call me passive or a hypocrite, right? I’ll admit sometimes, yes, I’m a very passive individual. But what are those weaknesses that sometimes overwhelm you? Also, how are you contributing to those are in need? What concerns and what constructive action will you take to make a difference in any opportunity that you are given. Embrace all people as you would want to be embraced. It’s important for us to be open minded and search for ways to broaden our perspective. Look for those opportunities to build relationships with minorities or people a part of LGBTQ. Everyone has a beautiful, unique story that forms their character today. Will you find that and embrace? Or push it away?

Just tell me what to do Hunter! (Also, if you cared at all: my personal opinion). If I could provide a fix it all solution, I wouldn’t hesitate. In an ideal world, I wish every individual would give up their time to benefit someone else. In an ideal world, we wouldn’t compare the value of two human lives. Every individual has a story, a reality constructed in their brain by their conscious. Our developmental environment shapes that as well as our biology and personality. Unfortunately, others undergo painful, horrific experiences, and some of us don’t. My call from my heart today is not to push those people or ideas that may bother, annoy, obstruct, anger, frustrate, or don’t agree with, but embrace them with a compassion and an open mind. I challenge you reader, to investigate one idea that you are passionate about. Abortion, mental illness, politics, anything; let it become a vehicle for you to declare a unique perspective to the world that needs some help.