In The 'Greatest City In The World': I Finally Saw 'Hamilton'

On February 15th, 2017, I finally got to be in the Room Where it Happens.

57
jordan prochnow

I'm one of the biggest Hamilton fans you'll ever meet. I've memorized the soundtrack. My reservoir of trivia about the founding fathers is ridiculously expansive. When my parents utter a phrase that can be found in a Hamilton song, they have to quickly keep speaking so that I can't start singing. I've always loved musicals, but this is a whole other level.

For a year, I'd dreamed about going to see the show, of getting to see the words I know by heart come to life. On February 15th, 2017, I finally got to be in the Room Where it Happens.

I had no idea we were going to see Hamilton when my dad told me that we were going to New York for a few days. I had the opportunity to intern for the day at Nolcha Shows during New York Fashion Week, and I was told that the next day, on Valentine's Day, we would be going to an after party for the models and people who helped out. I blindly followed and believed that this was the plan, and I didn't know what to expect from the event.

My parents tend to surprise me with things, and I can usually tell when they're up to something. This time was totally different though. My dad insisted that this time there was no ruse, that while he was sorry we just weren't going to see the show. He said that since we couldn't go see the show we could do all the other Hamilton-themed things I wanted; we took a tour of the Grange, the house that Hamilton built, took pictures outside the Richard Rogers theatre, visited the Hamilton graves at Trinity Church, and planned on going to see the Hamilton statue in Central Park. The entire time, at the back of my mind, was a yearning to see the show in person, but instead I hummed and sang my way through New York, accepting the fact that I wouldn't be going to the show.

We spent Valentine's Day walking around Trinity Church, adventuring around Soho in pursuit of the Kylie Jenner store and edible cookie dough restaurant, and eventually it was time to get ready for the after party we would be attending. We ate at a French restaurant on our block (the same block that the Richard Rogers is on), since we "didn't know what there would be to eat at the party," and set off towards Times Square to catch a cab on the other side.

We walked by the Richard Rogers, and my dad asked to take another picture of me, since I was dressed up for the party. It turns out, he was taking a video of me. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a folded piece of paper, asking me if I could hold it while he looked for the party address. I instantly knew what it was. "STOP IT," I said in shock. "STOP IT, THAT'S NOT FUNNY." I opened up the tickets, and that's how I started to cry in the middle of a New York City block. The next ten minutes involved me talking a mile a minute, saying thankyouthankyouthankyou, and Snapchatting my friends about the surprise. Some of my friends actually started crying too, since they knew how much it meant to me to go to the show. It turns out that most of my family members were in on the surprise, and had known for a while. My seven-year-old brother even knew, and said, "I really wanted to tell you, but I knew that it would be better if it was a surprise."

We walked to our seats, in the mezzanine of the theatre, and I was instantly blown away by the set. It didn't feel real yet, but the amazing set reminded me that it was actually happening. I squirmed in my seat and thoroughly combed the playbill, soaking in as much as I could about the cast we would be seeing, and before I knew it, the lights began to dim.

I would be a liar if I said that I didn't start to beam (and cry a little) the second that I heard the opening notes of the show. I sat, transfixed, unable to even mouth along like everyone assumed I would (my stepmom told me to enjoy the show and to "not sing over the cast"). While I am obviously used to hearing the original cast, and Lin-Manuel Miranda will always be Alexander Hamilton to me, everyone in the cast was superb. It was Michael Luwoye's last night as the alternate for Hamilton (he performs on Tuesday nights), and man, can he sing. His voice took command of the stage, and along with Brandon Victor Dixon, who brought down the house with "Wait For It" and "The Room Where It Happens," Burr's solos, the pair was unstoppable. Jordan Fisher, who played John Laurens/ Philip Hamilton, stole the show when he was on stage, and his upbeat (sometimes lewd) behavior and constant smile only makes it more heartbreaking (historical spoiler alert) for their eventual demises. Mandy Gonzales was perfect as Angelica Schyuler, and her voice was always clear and strong. King George III is undoubtedly a show-stopping role, since he is a caricature in its finest, and Taran Killam (who was on SNL for six seasons and (along with a variety of other excellent films) was in one of my favorite movies growing up, Big Fat Liar) performed perfectly. His subtle dancing and inflection on the lines truly made the character, and he, along with the whole cast, was a delight to watch.

Listening to a musical is one thing, but seeing it happen, and something on the scale of Hamilton nonetheless, is overpowering. There is so much happening at once that it can be overwhelming at first, because you want to see absolutely everything while you can. The set of Hamilton revolves around turntables, stairs, and balconies, so there is always action whether it is prominent or not. As someone who does theatre, I tend to pay attention to things others might not, so my eyes were constantly drawn to little things: which cast members are visible and watching on the balconies? What little interactions between Hamilton and Burr show you the tension to come? The little details truly make a difference, and were amazing to watch. The turntable is used beautifully, especially during Philip's death and during "Hurricane" and provides the audience with the feeling that Hamilton's life was constantly spiraling, for better or worse.

The lasting power of Hamilton is something that amazes me. As a writer, I know the feeling of wanting to make something that lasts (or to quote Hamilton, "I wanna build something that's gonna outlive me"), and Lin has done exactly that. The fact that a musical about an often overlooked founding father has achieved such global success is truly amazing, and getting to see the amount of people who have been impacted by the show always brings a smile to my face. The show has brought together so many people from different backgrounds, and reminds you of the important messages throughout life that you always keep in the back of your mind.

Getting to see Hamilton on Broadway is something that I'll carry with me forever, as it was a truly unforgettable experience. Hamilton is a story of love, triumph, betrayal, hope, treachery, and what it means to leave a legacy. For me, the show's legacy, as with Alexander Hamilton's, will never fade. It truly was the best valentine I could've asked for.