In Defense Of Slytherin

In Defense Of Slytherin

Not all Slytherins are evil.

884
In Defense Of Slytherin
deviantart.net

“Or perhaps in Slytherin you’ll make your real friends, those cunning folk use any means, to achieve their ends.” – J. K. Rowling

I have only met one person that, when asked which Hogwarts house they are in, didn’t know. Some people have taken the Pottermore test multiple times, others found their answers on BuzzFeed, while others still have just placed themselves in the house they like the most. But one thing doesn’t really change -- everyone is proud of where they belong. Like everyone else, I am really proud of my house, Slytherin, even though it is “the bad house.”

A lot of Deatheaters and their leader may have been Slytherin but that doesn’t mean the whole house should be condemned. Peter Pettigrew, the man who betrayed James and Lily Potter and vigilant Deatheater, was a Gryffindor. Professor Qurriell, the man who let Voldemort share his body, was a Ravenclaw. A few bad eggs shouldn’t spoil the batch.

There are quite a few examples of when characters in the books show a lack of understanding of Slytherin house. From the very beginning of Harry’s time, he makes it clear that he does not want to be in Slytherin, and there is an ill view of the house as a whole. One of the most alarming times this deep-rooted prejudice of the house is in the movie when Professor McGonagall has Filch lock the Slytherins into their dorm during the final battle. She knew Hogwarts was under attack and had a total house of children locked into the dungeons where they were set at a definite disadvantage for protecting themselves.

As it was, their dorm was soon destroyed and they were able to escape but what if it had collapsed and not blown the door open? A whole house of children could have been killed and McGonagall, being as brilliant as she is, had to have thought that might be a possibility. In the books, they are asked if they want to fight and everyone hates them when they say no. They are not terrorists themselves but are treated as such for their answer. But no one realizes that they are asking some of these children to fight against their parents, uncles, and aunts. Even if they did decide to try and fight, the other students would not have trusted them on the battlefield anyway.

These prejudices are really unfounded, though. Dumbledore describes Slytherins as clever, resourceful, determined, and having a certain degree of disregard for the rules. All of these traits could describe the hero, Harry Potter. In fact, Dumbledore even awards points to the Gryffindor trio at the last banquet -- to beat Slytherin at the last minute -- for using some of these traits in defeating Voldemort the first time. The Sorting Hat even wants to put Potter in Slytherin: “Slytherin will help you on the way to greatness, there is no doubt about that.”

For the vast majority of the book, Professor Snape is loathed by a great many of the students and particularly all Harry’s friends. The books depict him as sniveling and unjust. I won’t say that I was very happy with him as head of my house but in the last minute, Snape becomes a hero of sorts. He was indeed a spy for the Oder and had only killed Dumbledore to save Draco Malfoy at the request of Dumbledore, himself. In addition, he had always loved Lily. He became a hero and a sympathetic character. When Harry’s son confesses he is afraid of becoming a Slytherin -- that does not go unnoticed by Slytherins -- Harry reminds him that he was named after Snape, adding, “[Snape] was probably the bravest man I ever knew.” Was bravery not a Gryffindor trait and something to obviously be revered?

These students in Slytherin spend their whole time knowing that they can be openly hated just because of their house and where they belong. Imagine spending your middle and high school years being told you will just turn out evil because of who you are and where you have found a home. I think there is a great amount of respect that is due to them for their continued pride and loyalty.

Slytherins are the type to eat a whole pizza just because they were dared to. Here’s to the Slytherins who are viciously protective of their friends and families. The daydreaming Slytherins that dream all day about ambitions and doing great things. The Slytherins who are resourceful and use this to feed their family. The Feminist Slytherins who fight tooth and nail for equality and will take no sh*t. Here's to the perfectionist Slytherins who use their cunning to get perfect grades. The quiet ones that come from dark family secrets but don't allow those to get in the way of friendships.

Of course, being a Slytherin doesn't mean you're evil but having people think you are is a huge advantage -- no one will get even dare get in your way.

Regulus found a horcrux. Narcissa saved Harry. Snape was a spy. Merlin was the Father of Magic.