In My Wildest Dreams

In My Wildest Dreams

My reflections on becoming a college senior.

11
In My Wildest Dreams
Cosentini Associates

With super priority registration opening up the other day for my school, and gathering up the information that I needed to make decisions on my next set of class to take, I came to some realizations. One, I have two semesters left. Which means that two, I will be a college senior next semester.

There has been a time where I never thought this would happen. Not like, “wow, I have so much to do this week and I’m so stressed out and this semester is never going to end and college will never end.” Or, “I’m scheduling classes for next semester and I have this many classes left and it just seems like I’m going to be here forever.” I mean that I genuinely came to a point where I didn’t think I would see senior year. And that was just right after freshman year, when I dropped out.

As a student in middle school and high school, college just kind of seemed like a dream. Something I knew that both parents insisted I take a part in but something that just seemed optional. Like when you go to a store and they ask if you want to purchase a warranty on a video game or an electronic and you can say yes or no. That’s what college seemed like. A good idea but one where you didn’t have to do it. Then, my senior year in high school rolled along and I come to find that it was becoming more and more of a reality. The school I go to now was not my first choice by any means but it was a choice. After analyzing tuition rates and pros and cons, it fully became my choice.

Which then brought me to the hair-pulling decision making process in what I wanted to do. But at the time, I was dead set on majoring in chemistry and taking the pre-pharmacy track. Me, the girl that hated science and was only good at a little bit of math, wanted to major in chemistry. The girl that scored a 1 on her AP Chemistry test. And if I could go back in time now, I would shake that same girl by her shoulders and tell her she doesn’t know what she’s getting into. But I did it. I went along with it and by the time CHE 121 rolled around, I would quickly realize that I made the biggest mistake. Two attempts with two Fs later and owing the university over a grand, I was down for the count. I didn’t have a grand to give back to the university in order to enroll in more courses and not to mention, I landed myself on academic probation with a 1.7 GPA. It’s taken almost 3 years just to get it back to a 3.0.

But a crazy circumstance later, I received the chance to pay off my dues and start back at square 1 with a fresh mindset. I took a career exploration course at school to explore different majors and careers that I could be interested in. I talked to an advisor in the science department who actually pointed me into the direction that is Media Informatics. I began to excel in the classes I took and I claimed a minor in Spanish and Cinema Studies (now just Spanish).

Do I wish I would’ve done things differently? Yes. I wish I would’ve taken more time to explore. Not just careers or majors too but organizations and clubs on campus. In the last year I’ve joined the Spanish Club at school and met so many great people. I’ve eventually learn to break out of my shell and talk more. But being a believer that everything happens for a reason and we’re always where we need to be at each moment in time, I wouldn’t change where I’m at for a thing. Everything that has happened has taught me a lesson and led me to some great people along the way. People I may never have met if I had done things the right way. I’ve accomplished so many things even if it took a little extra time and I wouldn’t have it any other way.