I'm Sorry

I'm Sorry

A Story to Those Who've Passed

9
I'm Sorry

I'm sorry...

I'm sorry that the world couldn't keep you. Wrapped within it's arms, you were are beautiful rose sheltered by petals. As you bloomed, you grew into the flourishing garden. It was a beautiful garden, one of bountiful brush and breadth. You belonged there, with your quaint beauty, the flowers embraced you like the sun did the sky.

I'm sorry...

I'm sorry that I couldn't protect you. With your breath against my neck, you breathed small breaths like the wind on a hot summers day. The warmth of the sun, as it shined across your skin, lit your face like Christmas lights do to the tree. Breath by breath, you slowly released as the warm air gave you a place to rest.

I'm sorry...

I'm sorry that even though I promised I left you there, alone to slowly dwindle. Like a river after a drought, you shriveled into yourself and day by day, the flow of life slowly decreased. Sunken were your eyes as they looked at me and longed for connection. But just like the river was miles long, so was our distance. Distance, as it whispered in our ears, told us that it was both of our faults. Yours for passing and mine for not being there. Fault, fault, fault.... That's all I knew.

However, if I could look into your eyes today, I'm sorry is the thing I would say. Not for distance, but for time. As the clock ticked, it held a timer between us. If I could, I would fly over, travel those miles that I didn't last year. Spend those minutes that I no longer have; however, what you would've said is this, "Anak, it is only death that brings us closer to living. For, I will still be with you in spirit, so blame is something you mustn't hold."