Imposter Syndrome

Imposter Syndrome

Do you ever feel like an imposter? Like you don't belong in the job, class, or place you are right now?

3
Imposter Syndrome

Recently, I've been feeling like I don't deserve everything I have achieved in my life. Every time I do bad on an assignment or don't know the answer to a problem, I feel like I do not belong in the class or the place where I encounter the problem. It is difficult being in settings where everyone is a high level achiever and everyone is doing their best; it makes me feel like my best is not enough and that I should just quit. This struggle is also exacerbated by the fact that I struggle in places where others normally do not, which makes me question if I am even doing anything right at all. My classes all require continuous effort and participation, which I just cannot give every day; I need a break and this makes m feel weak because my peers seem to be on infinite energy, always working and studying. Even when I go to work, I wonder if I should even be there at all because sometimes I feel tired and drained while my coworkers are full of energy.

I know that I must have done some things right to be in the position where I am today, it is highly unlikely that I could get lucky so many times. But it can be hard to identify exactly what I'm doing right and what I'm doing wrong. I really have to step back and remind myself every time I feel discouraged that everyone is different; everyone is at different points in their lives, mentally and physically, and that I simply cannot compare myself to others. Other people have struggles that I don't know about, and they might be feeling the same way. Talking to my friends and peers also helps validate the stress and disillusionment I am feeling because they talk about their struggles and feelings of hopelessness too.

If you feel undeserving of where you are right now, I urge you to take a step back and analyze everything you have done. It was you who got yourself to where you are today. I also recommend talking to friends and family and peers because many of them are probably feeling the same way. You just have to keep going and adapting and getting through it, constantly thinking about what you have achieved.