Why It's Important To Have Guys As Friends

Girl friends are irreplaceable, guy friends are just an added bonus.

120

Who would we be without our friends? They play such a vital role in our lives. Friends lift you up, make you laugh and are a constant reminder of how much you are loved.

As a woman, I think it's very important to have guy friends, for several reasons.

Yes, there are those girls who only have guy friends because they are, "less drama". Sure. If that's how you feel about it, then you go girl. You do you.

But I think it's important to have BOTH guy and girl friends.

Girl friends are GREAT. They are always ready to dish out a well deserved compliment, will tell you when your outfit could be better, and they're always down for a good ugly cry because odds are, they need one too.

So this isn't meant to undermine the importance of having women as friends, this is just to point out that guy friends are great to have around too.

Guy friends, if you're lucky, really can be like brothers. I know that's an over played cliche, but it's true. They see your crazy, and they still love you. They're still around. They'll even tell you how crazy you're being. That's sometimes hard to come by.

They'll always be some of the first to point out that you deserve better, or some of the first to tell you to calm down or to set you straight. Which, let's be honest, sometimes girls will just spend hours working up one another to the point of no return.

And that's okay. That's therapeutic and always a good time. But your guy friends will give it to you straight, but with lots and lots of love.

They offer a different point of view, In reality, girls are very different from guys. We just are. Sometimes we just can't comprehend what is going though a guys head or what makes them do the things they do. Guy friends offer an inside perspective which is always helpful.

They're also great because they'll show you and give you a love that they know you deserve. And they don't hesitate when doing it.

I'm graduating soon, and I'm leaving this place I've called home for 4.5 years. I've had four of my guy friends intentionally reach out to me and take me to dinner, watch a movie with me, or just talk to me on the phone because that's all we could make time for.

I have guy friends who just call me up because they want to go on a drive and talk. Or they show up at my door because they just wanted to hang out.

They instill this sort of standard in you for the guys you date in the future. And that's not a bad thing. It's a great thing. Because your guy friends are loving you in a way that makes you aware of the kind of love you deserve and are worthy of. So when you start dating and the guy doesn't even compare to your guy friends, there's a reason. It's because they aren't loving you and respecting you the way they should. And I don't think we would notice those things if it weren't for our guy friends.

It's a different kind of love that they give, that's for sure. But it's one I wouldn't trade. Sometimes you'll want to punch them (and sometimes you probably will). Sometimes you'll argue and banter like an old married couple because they're getting on your last nerve. And sometimes, being with them will be the best moment of your day.

If you have guy friends, stop and appreciate them right now. Call them up, take them to dinner, just show them you appreciate them and love them. Because they love you too.