Three Important Things To Remember This Semester

Grades are important, but YOU come first

1

With the fall semester in full swing, it is easy to forget to take care of yourself as a part of your every day routine. Between the assignments, club meetings, and maintaining a healthy social life, often self care is put on the back burner, to be addressed at a later time. Getting into that bad habit, however, is the key to crashing and burning midway through the semester. These are three important self care habits everyone should make sure they consistently enact for the duration of the semester, at least.

1. Eating Properly

Proper eating is most likely the first healthy habit people neglect when life gets busy. It can start by skipping breakfast because you would rather sleep in an extra 20 minutes or grabbing the bag of chips for the late night snack instead of some fruit. Breakfast should be the kickstart to get your day rolling. After a night of rest, your body needs the energy to be able to carry you throughout your hectic day. Skipping this meal may cause you to overeat later in the day, opt for unhealthy snacks, or simply become fatigued. In order for your body to maintain itself with an active college lifestyle, supplying it with the right nutrients is key. Not only will that affect your day to day routine, but also your overall health in the long run.

2. Getting Enough Sleep

Sleep is often the second self care aspect neglected, after eating properly. It is easy to get into the mind set of, "I'm young. I don't need as much sleep. I can stay up late, go out, and make it to class the next morning several days this week." Sure, every once in a while, it's alright. You can take a mid day nap to attempt to catch up on the few hours of missed sleep from the night before, but once it becomes habit, your health will start to deteriorate. Ensuring yourself enough hours of a good nights sleep provides your body with the ability to prepare for the day ahead. Lack of doing so affects your mental health, physical health, and cognitive well being. Without an adequate amount, it becomes difficult for your brain to obtain and remember information. When paying a lot of money to get an education, don't you want your brain to be functioning properly?

3. Taking Time for You

I know personally, this department of self care I often neglect. I am way too occupied getting myself over involved, ensuring all around me are doing alright, before taking a step back to reflect on myself. Whether it is taking the time to catch up on your favorite Netflix show before bed, or making time for a run, or reading your favorite book, taking the time in your day for a hobby you enjoy will make you happier. The happier you are, the more productive you will be throughout your day.

While it is easy to create excuses for not following these three, simple, self care tips, it is important to follow them to have a successful, less stressful semester.