The Lessons Everyone Should Learn From Working In Retail

The 5 Most Important Things You Learn Working In Retail

Retail and customer service teach you some of the greatest lessons that life has to offer.

83
Laken Pritchard

Back in May, I had been praying to God about the same three things. Every. Single. Night.

"Dear God, please help me find a job. I want to be financially secure. Please guide me to a God-loving, smart, good man who you have created just for me. Please watch over my family throughout their travels and get them safely wherever they may be headed."

God, working in the mysterious ways he does, lead me straight to the greatest job I've ever had (while keeping my family safe): working for American Eagle Outfitters. I had never worked in retail before, but that didn't stop me from applying to my favorite store. After an interview with one of the managers, I was soon directed to filling out paperwork and starting my first day.

After working in retail for a few months, there are five very important things that I have learned during my time there. If you're thinking about applying for a retail job, these things are super important for you to know!

1. You have the power to boost other people's confidence.

Aerie Real Campaign

www.brandchannel.com

Body positivity has definitely grown in the past few years; however, there are still some people--male and female--who need a little boost in confidence, knowing that regardless of their size, they still look amazing!

2. Not everyone is entitled.

cdn.pixabay.com

Yes, there are people who demand to be treated like royalty when entering a store, such as American Eagle... but there are good people out there. Just yesterday, I had a man kindly pay for a group of teenage girls who didn't have the right credit card. Good people are everywhere.

3. Your coworkers will turn into some of your greatest friends.

cdn.pixabay.com

I am not even close to being the most approachable person on the planet, but for whatever reason, my coworkers constantly tell me how much they love me--both in and outside of work.

4. Everyone has their own style, but it's our job to take it to the next level.

cdn.pixabay.com

Obviously, no one in the world is the same. There are different body shapes, tastes, personalities, etc. As a stylist (because, in actuality, that's what you are) it is your job not to change that person's style but to enhance it to where they feel that they are their best selves.

5. Positive reinforcement is AMAZING.

s.yimg.com

When you have a customer thank you for your help, chat with you about random things, or even say they'll be back because of you is an incredibly uplifting experience. When your managers recognize all of your hard work, giving you positive feedback and literally hyping you up, you know you're in the right place.

While it may have taken nearly a thousand prayers to get me to where I am today, it's safe to say that I'm exactly where I am supposed to be.

Working in retail definitely has its moments, but nothing beats learning these five, incredibly important life lessons.