Giving Back To Your Community

The Importance Of Giving Back To The Community

Never forget where you come from and who helped you get to where you are going.

21
Christian Lucatero

It takes a village of people to get you where you want to get to and it takes an even bigger village to make sure you stay there.

All throughout high school, I made sure to stay involved with pre-collegiate programs that would help me achieve these dreams. It was thanks to these programs that I am where I am now simply because they had hope in me with everything that I did and spent the time helping me realize just what I am capable of.

A promise I made to myself during my first two years in college was that I would always make sure to count my blessings and give back to the community that helped me get here in any possible way I could.

With my second year in the books, I decided to help out past advisors by being guests on their student panels for high school students that were looking for every little bit of advice they could get. I know what it's like to be in their shoes and just how hard it is to feel uneasy about what the future holds when you are far away from home.

It also reminded me just how much I love being home. Home is this community helping each other out and making sure that they are confident in themselves.

However, this also helped me reflect on everything I have done in two years so far in college. It was stuff I only dreamed of and how even though I was at the disadvantage because I'm a first-generation student that is entering a predominantly white institution and male profession, I could definitely do it.

This is the hope and motivation I want to give other students that are just like me and have their doubts about whether or not they belong at their institution or in their profession.