The Importance of Spending Time Alone

The Importance Of Being Comfortable On Your Own

Whether introverted or extroverted, t's important to be able to unwind and enjoy your own company.

16

Many people are familiar with the terms introvert and extrovert. Sometimes they're used in the wrong way because not everyone is aware that what the terms refer to are about how you get energy, like whether or not you get energy from being around other people rather than if you like being around people or not. Either way, it's a term that everyone has probably come across before.

College can be a really hectic time, particularly if you live in a dorm on campus because then you are always surrounded by people. Even when trying to be alone to study or do work it can be impossible to find time for yourself. Having a roommate can complicate this situation even further. For some people like extroverts, this is no problem because they enjoy being around people anyway. For others, though, this can be another draining aspect of college life.

Even if you get your energy by being around other people, it is important to know how to enjoy your own company.

In college, it can be hard to ever have time to yourself, but spending time by yourself is good for your emotional health. Having good emotional health is a very important aspect of living your best life. To me, enjoying your own company is closely related to independence, and being independent is another important aspect of living your best life. The best way to understand yourself is to be able to be alone. Being alone every now and then also allows for you to slow down and appreciate what's around you. Beyond that, though, enjoying some alone time has other benefits. If you're comfortable by yourself you're more likely to not feel lonely a lot of the time, which is better for your mental health. You have to know how to keep yourself entertained. If you know how to keep yourself entertained you're less likely to be bored. It is also important to have a good sense of self so that you know who you are without other people around you.

It isn't even about being or not being in a relationship. If you're constantly surrounded by friends it can be hard to have a good sense of self and know who you are when you aren't with those people. You have to be defined by yourself and not others.

Being comfortable with solitude is something that doesn't have to be hard if you're a person who normally doesn't like to be alone, but a good way to figure out what you're comfortable doing alone versus with people can be a good way to find a new hobby. It can be something as simple as reading or playing video games or more elaborate like drawing or painting. Something I like to do on my own is sewed patches onto my jean jacket. Whatever it is that you find that you like doing, I encourage you to figure out a way to enjoy spending time alone without feeling lonely.