The Importance Of Counting Your Blessings

Stop taking your life for granted.

1548

In this day and age, it has become increasingly evident that people fail to recognize what they have right in front of them. This is a very disappointing attitude to carry throughout life. The potential to be content and happy with life starts when people are grateful for everything that they have. By “have” I do not mean materials, but I am referencing the things in life that money cannot buy such as love, kindness, and generosity.

It is obvious that people need certain things to thrive in life. It is necessary to have food, water, shelter, and clothing. There is no denying that these are basic necessities that should not at all be taken for granted. Not every person on this earth has these basic necessities. Having knowledge of this fact alone should put everything in perspective for those who have food to satisfy their hunger, clean water to quench their thirst, a roof over their head, and clothing to cover their back.

A main problem in modern society is the inability for people to differentiate between what they need and what they want. As I mentioned before, needs are things in life that are necessary, but a want is something that is desired, or something that someone would like to have. Wants do not interfere with the well-being of an individual; a person’s survival does not depend on a want. This generation gets so caught up in owning the next best thing such as the latest phone, computer, or car...everyone is caught up in what they want and not what they have. This is a problem that, in my opinion, is getting worse and worse.

Over the years, I have fully grasped the significance of counting blessings. Not only does the mindset enhance one’s happiness, but it also results in a completely different outlook on life. On a more personal note, I feel that I have become a more optimistic person because I am able to recognize the silver lining in every situation. All of the obstacles that life has thrown at me have served as useful lessons in the end. I am grateful for every situation that I am put in because I feel that every bump in the road is an opportunity for me to mature as an individual and to learn about the important things in life.

There is so much power that lies in a lifestyle comprised of appreciation. There are so many benefits that are linked to gratitude…benefits that ultimately contribute to a happier and healthier life. I hope that this article is humbling and eye-opening. My wish is for this generation to recognize life with fresh eyes and to become more aware of what is really important. It is an upsetting reality that people are so detached from what is right in front of them. My mission in writing this article is to raise awareness of the importance of counting your blessings. I hope that you can take something away from this article and change your perspective because if you do, then I did something right.