Immigrants Are Humans Too, Mr. Trump

Immigrants Are Humans Too, Mr. Trump

This hateful, racist rhetoric about immigrants being fueled by the Trump Administration needs to be stopped immediately

192

For someone who is not too knowledgeable about politics, I like to be informed in what is going in the country that I have lived in for the last 15 years.

No, I was not born in the United States. I was born in Mexico, the country right down south of the U.S border. The country that is apparently is filled with criminals, rapists, and drug dealers. Although these are extremely racist, hasty generalizations about Mexicans, it is an idea that is fueling white nationalism to push mass deportations, violence against immigrants, and the need to keep brainwashing this country with a lot of ignorant and incorrect information.

The 2016 presidential election is one I paid attention to the most since it was the first election most people my age could vote in; their opinions soared since it was their first time voting for the person they wanted to see as their president. Also, it was the one that grew a lot attention due to the fact that a reality star and businessman who had no experience in politics whatsoever decided to run to be the next president of the United States of America.

On November 8th, 2016, Donald Trump was elected to be the next President of this free nation. In that moment, it felt like any freedom I currently had as a human being was about to be stripped away. As if I too, were one of the wicked criminals people should be afraid of. I was 18 years old, but because I came to the U.S to seek new opportunities that Mexico couldn't provide for my family, I couldn't voice my opinion and vote.

Since his campaigning days, Trump has constantly been attacking immigrants left and right. He is always preaching that the best solution to fix the immigration issue in the country is to build a wall across the U.S and Mexico border, and to deport every undocumented individual back to where they came from.

Hearing his ideologies and tactics were nothing more than terrifying which made me feel like I was constantly wearing a target on my head. His plans of immigration reforms constantly made me fear of my future in this country.

My legal status is something I have always been careful about sharing with others because I have always been afraid of the reactions especially with this political era we currently live in. But after Trump's actions of rescinding DACA, separating families at the border, and now planning to take away birthright citizenship away from children of immigrant parents, I feel like I need to speak up and tell my story.

I am undocumented but that should truly never confine nor fully define who I am. I too have feelings, aspirations, and make mistakes just like legal citizens and every other human on this planet. I have worked hard to get to where I am today thanks to the resources that are scarcely available to undocumented immigrants. This a scary time for immigrants as these inhumane policies keep rolling through but this also a time where there is high volumes of support to the 11 million undocumented immigrants.

So Mr. Trump, remember that America is a melting pot of immigrants upon immigrants and it is what makes this country thrive. Please keep your mouth shut and instead of constantly attacking millions of hard working individuals who want a safe path to citizenship start realizing we are highly important to this country in various ways.

Citizens of this country, I hope after reading this, you do your part and vote this rhetoric out of this government.