Immensity

Immensity

Conquer your fears.

28
Immensity
Lauren Bush

Summer for me, as a college student, is the perfect time to reflect on events that have happened prior to now, and an even better time to prepare yourself for all the things that will come during the "year." During the summer, I think about the ocean. It's a concept so vast and immense that I can barely wrap my head around it.

First, it is so large. Second, it is filled with life, but not all living things can survive in it. Third, there is a tide that rises and falls at a specific time each day, and this is something that can be measured. Crazy!

Because I had a professor once tell me not to have a discussion without defining my terms, I figured I'd start by saying what "immense" actually means.
The Webster's definition of immense is "extremely large or great; synonyms include: monumental, colossal, towering, tremendous."

Let's just be real for a second: When I go to the beach, the last thing I want to do is get in the ocean. I love being near it, hearing it, seeing it, smelling it, but to actually be in it is not my thing.

First of all, something about really slimy sand and rocks under my feet just really creeps me out.
Second, the thought of being in the same body of water as sharks (that would love to eat me) and all other aquatic life just turns me right around in the other direction.

Since this post is not just about the ocean, I started thinking about other things that are immense -- and quite scary, to be honest. When I think about other activities and areas of life that are, in my terms, "immense," I thought about things I never thought I'd be bold or brave enough to try and things that honestly just freak me out, such as:

Going to college -- in another state
Cross-culture traveling
Dating and getting married
Living on my own
Driving on the interstate
Having a "big-girl job"
Loss, death, and grief
Bungee jumping and skydiving
Climbing or rappelling off a mountain
Zip lining

The list could go on forever.

What has really got me thinking in the midst of all this immense talk is why, when it comes to tangible things, I usually get worked up and let fear take over, but when it comes to the most immense thing I can think of -- my relationship with the Creator of the Universe -- I dove right in, headfirst.

In the Bible, God calls us to "not be afraid," to "be strong and courageous," to "be on your guard," and not to "be anxious about anything -- instead pray about everything." Yet I fear things that he created as mentioned in the list above. God created mountains for us to climb, and he tells us that one day we will leave our father and mother for the act of marriage, and he calls us to accept our calling, he created life and death, he created international communication and travel. So shouldn't I know that he will take care of me as I step out into the life he has created specifically for me? Especially since God promises he is with me always, and that he will fight for me and meet all of my needs according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.

After all the thought that has gone into this, my goal is to believe 2 Timothy 1:7, that God did not give me a spirit of fear and timidity, but one of power and love and self-discipline.
As I go into my senior year of college and embrace my 21st year of life, I pray that I will have no fear in my education, accept my vocation and calling with a sense of purpose and power, and that when the time comes to move on to things such as living on my own and dating and having a big girl job, I will do so knowing the one who created me and has written out this crazy story of my life will hold my hand each step. I pray that my mindset will be different when I come to things that seem too colossal to even try. I pray that I will leap with my whole being instead of just testing the water with my pinky toe. After all, The Lord is my light and my salvation whom then shall I fear; The Lord is the stronghold of my life.. whom then shall I be afraid. (Proverbs 27:1)

Now, if the things in my "too immense to handle" list seem like a piece of cake to you, but this Jesus guy seems to "towering," "tremendous," or "colossal," think about all that he has allowed you to conquer. Think about all the blessings He has given you in your marriage, job, travels etc. He has given you that same power and self-discipline, so maybe you should set the same goal and conquer your fear of things that are too immense to try. Then give this Jesus guy a change -- I promise he will rock your world.

Conquer your fears!