I'm The Girl Who Doesn't Wear Makeup

I'm The Girl Who Doesn't Wear Makeup

And I've never been happier.

615
I'm The Girl Who Doesn't Wear Makeup
StyleCraze

For starters, I have nothing against makeup. I believe any girl has the right to wear as much makeup as she desires. In fact, I love seeing how creative individuals can get with their makeup. From eyeshadow to eyeliner and whatever else is considered makeup, it can truly be considered as an art. I just don't participate in it.

It wasn't always like this. I wore black eyeliner on my lower eyelid every day starting in 8th grade all the way until junior year of high school. What sparked my love for eyeliner was surprisingly church camp. At the week long sleep-away camp, I was introduced to makeup. This was because of the camp's candlelight dinner. All the girls bring their cutest dresses and pamper up for the big event. The thought the being paired with your crush drove girls crazy as they painted nails, styled hair, and biggest of all, applied makeup. The moment I saw my reflection after the loads of makeup that was put on me, I saw an image with which I could be happy.

As most girls growing up, I was self conscious. I had a gap in my teeth that made me dislike the reflection I saw in the mirror. Thankfully braces solved that problem in high school, but by then I had already fallen into the vicious cycle of wearing makeup. As a young girl I had always been mistaken for appearing younger than I was -- something I did not appreciate. The eyeliner made me look older and I could finally be perceived in the light I had always dreamed of being in. Relatives and family friends were surprised to see such a look on me, but I enjoyed wearing it.

After a few years, I started realizing how wearing makeup was affecting my self esteem. If I had accidentally forgotten to put on eyeliner before school, I would go all day ashamed of what people might see me as. I'd rush home after school and immediately put on eyeliner even if I wasn't going out for the rest of the night. It turned into an addiction and I couldn't get enough of it. I straight up didn't think I was pretty enough without makeup.

Summer after junior year I decided to test myself. For one week I was to not wear makeup and no matter how bad I wanted to give in, I had to stick to the plan. For the first few days, I couldn't look at myself in the mirror. I was so used to my face with makeup that without it I looked like a totally different person unlike myself. That's when I realized how ridiculous this whole makeup thing was to me. At the end of week, I decided to ask my friend Victor for an opinion on the topic. He told me he couldn't see a difference from when I was wearing makeup than without makeup. Not that I needed affirmation from someone else, but that to me was a compliment I needed to hear. It validated my experiment and I could confidently continue on not wearing makeup from there on out.

It's been two years since. Of course I've worn makeup for prom and other events of similar stature, but regularly I still do not wear makeup and I've never been happier. I can look at myself in the mirror and be confident with who I am. Now that I'm older I understand I shouldn't shame those who wear makeup, instead I should respect there are many reasons why someone chooses to wear makeup. In my case it was unhealthy. For others, who knows.

For the girls who think they need makeup to look pretty: you don't need it. Yes makeup can highlight our features, but a natural look is a divine beauty that can't be replicated elsewhere. You're beautiful inside and out and you don't need an artificial substance to prove it. Be you and nothing else. You go girl.