I'm A Republican And That's Okay

I'm A Republican And That's Okay

Your political party might be different than mine.. But that's okay.
18

If we were to think about life even just 10 years ago, I bet many of us would remember the days that politics weren't really spoken about. A lot of us were probably raised with the same standards; don't talk about politics and religion. Hell, I use to waitress and bar-tend and that is the unspoken rule of the bar. Don't talk about politics or religion, especially when alcohol is involved. As my dad always told me, you're not going to change their opinion, and they're not going to change yours.

Fast forwards 10 years, you now know everyone and their mothers political opinion. You can't get on Facebook for one day without a political post. Just about everything on the TV mentions politics in some form or fashion. Talking about politics has become the new social norm. Unfortunately, bullying has also become the new social norm. You're no longer allowed to have differing opinions. And this comes from both sides of the political spectrum. I've seen it from the extreme left as well as the extreme right.

Free speech for all!

.....Except for those who disagree with me!

Now, what stereotypes do you associate with those in the Republican party? What are the usual go-to's?

Racist.
Homophobic.
Islamophobic.
Any other word that ends in 'ophobic'...
Misogynistic.
War-Hungry.

And so on and so forth.

Well, I'm here to say, for those of you who are willing to listen, we're not any of those things. Do those people out there exist? Absolutely. But they're not limited to the republican party, or even the democratic party. There are assholes everywhere. On both sides.

But just because I'm a registered Republican, doesn't mean I'm any of those things. But I will tell you what I am. I am a young woman, mother and student who was raised by amazing parents who taught me the importance in respecting everyone. No matter their race, or their beliefs.

I was raised to treat everyone as the human beings that they are, because while we may not all have the same beliefs, we're all still human beings. Going day by day trying to figure out life and do what's best for our loved ones. We're not all going to do it the same way, and that's okay. We're not all going to vote for the same people, and that's also okay.

We can have different views. But just because we have different views, doesn't make me any of those things you assume that I am. You probably saw the title and instantly thought about how racist I must be. Or how I hate women. Or how I'm just probably so full of hate.

But I'm not.

I'm full of love. As a new mother especially, I'm full of a love I've never felt before. I don't hate anyone (except the San Fransisco Giants but that's just because I was #RaisedRoyal and I'm also #StillBitter).

I want what's best for most importantly my son, my family, my friends. But also for you, whoever reads this.. No matter your views, I value your safety and your future. Because at the end of the day, we're all playing for the same team. No matter who you are, what you believe, who you love; I will always treat you with respect unless you disrespect me.

I'm no longer ashamed of saying I am a republican. Because I'm confident in the values I was raised with. I'm confident in the respectful, loving person I am growing up to be and will raise my son to be. And because quite frankly, republicans aren't the ones out destroying buildings and assaulting people in alleged, 'protests' which are actually 'riots'.

I'm a republican and that's okay.
Maybe you're a democrat.. and that's okay.
Maybe you're an independent.. really, that's okay.

As long as you treat everyone with love and respect no matter their differences?

It's okay.