"I'm Not A Homophobe, But..."

"I'm Not A Homophobe, But..."

11 things you hear from people who are a tad homophobic.

624
"I'm Not A Homophobe, But..."
Salon

"I'm Not A Homophobe.."

Here are some things that people say and think on a daily basis, but still think they're not a homophobe, and such comments aren't homophobic. When in reality, they are. If you ever doubt whether or not what you're saying is homophobic or not, it probably is.

1. But I don't think "the gays" should marry because it really should be between a man and a woman.

First of all, if you are using the term "the gays" that's usually your number one sign right there. And yes, they definitely shouldn't marry, because even heterosexual marriages work out so well all of the time and never lead to divorce.

2. But I just don't agree with that lifestyle.

Good thing they're not asking for your permission. Everyone living different lifestyles is what makes this world we live in so interesting.

3. But it's just that gay marriage is against my religion.

I'm not a religious person so I'm not really too sure what the bible says, but I do know God is supposed to love all of his children and also isn't "hate" a sin somewhere in that book of yours as well? As well as adultery, do you hate those men too as passionately as you hate a gay man?

4. But don't you feel uncomfortable seeing two grown men kissing each other?

Not really, because I'm a mature adult who realizes heterosexual beings are not the supreme ruler of it all. I would feel just about as disgusted to see two men have a full blown make out session in public as I would with two straight people making out in public. And also, I'm sure you're disgusted with two men kissing, while two girls making out on the other hand..

5. But why do "gays" need their own bar, club, etc?

People like you, that judge them for their actions. This way, by going to these places they know they won't be judged for who they love.

6. He/she can't be gay! They're so masculine/ feminine.

Newsflash: you can be a man that's gay and masculine and you can be a woman that's gay and be feminine. There is no rulebook on how to be gay.

7. But I'm just saying, it's a waste of such potential.

A waste of potential? What does that even mean? Does being gay automatically make your ability and who you are as a person any less worthy? As if being gay and smart is a waste of smarts or if being gay and attractive is a waste of being attractive.

8. But I always wonder what goes wrong in the brain to make people gay.

What goes WRONG is the key phrase here. Nothing goes wrong.

9. But why do women date women that look like men? Why not just date a man??

I think you are missing the point here.

10. But don't you think it's just unnecessary to be flaunting it around in public like that?

Straight people are all about PDA like a fat kid is all over that chocolate cake. So basically it's all unnecessary, but there's nothing wrong with a man walking down the street holding hands with another man, or a woman and a woman, they're not flaunting anything.

11. But I don't think it's right to expose children to it.

Children aren't born to hate. They don't know how. They're taught it, and by sheltering children or teaching them that a different way of life is wrong, or for loving someone of the same gender; that is what is not right to expose children too. Being gay is not a sin and it's not doing anything unethical or wrong. One of the exact reasons people find it so taboo is because they were not exposed to it growing up, they didn't know much about it, they didn't see it, they didn't hear about it. Because it was never okay.

And on that note, I would like to end by saying thank you to all of the LGBTQ people that put up with ignorant people's bullshit every day.